Forum suggestion: Finished games, screenshots, WIP etc. Gallery?

So it is more a question of, how to present your game/resources?

I mean there are finished games that do not even have a screen shoot. Even if they have it is not easy to make the audience downloading it.

Indeed as more as I think about it, thumbnailing the finished game subforum can help drawing the attention to good looking games. At least the viewer gets an impression what to get.

The point of my suggestion is actually getting people to your game/project in the first place to help spread bge popularity. It’s hard to set up a popular YouTube channel or blog.

A community blog is still pulling away from non-bge users. The point here is to bring more people to the bge through a public display on a popular Blender website (i.e blenderartists). Unless a subdomain could be created for the blog and then headlines could be posted on the forum.

May I ask, what people you are thinking of?

Creating a game is hard. Publishing a game is hard. Promoting a game is hard too. It is simply not enough to just drop a download link somewhere.

Blenderartists.org is a forum not a blog. As part of the CGCookie network, you might contact wesburke or Fweeb if they can offer you other forms of presentation.

That is more or less the reason for my second youtube channel. (the LP BG Channel). To promote Blender Game Engine games. Unfortunately it would be fairly hard to reach viewers that are outside of the blender community. Unless a larger youtuber uploads a video of the blender game it is likely to stay mostly within the blender community.

We need polished games, played by youTubers with high subscription, like game grumps(are they still around?)

Some one needs to get exposure for bge games,
that are epic,

This is a good example: BluePrintRandon constantly advertises his (not-existing) game.

** moderation ***
Removed off-topic posts
Removed more off-topic posts

overposted

Dude, you can play my tech demo right now,

it includes some interesting mechanics, and some decent art for a few of the tech demos, I am moving forward without components system, as no one can help me, and I can’t fix it myself, (every iteration of assembly and disassembled creates another object in the scene that can’t be deleted) deleting it crashes blender but it’s my fault, as I can’t recreate it with a simpler blend…

(Monster) Do you have a project you need to finish that is close?
we can do that instead…

we need to work together…

Angry and redacted

So ya, about finished projects.

I would love to help anyone who is close to finished,

more finished games is good for all.

I guess @MrPutuLips is talking about the possibility of attracting non game engine users of blender, or casual fans of 3d design who frequent Blender artists to our particular part of the forum. But I don’t think that would be a success. Fans of 3d design are not always (or even very seldom) fans of game art. They drool when they hear that a render has 5,000,000 polys, I drool when I hear it has 500. They want to see multiple giga sized textures on a character (4096x4096 just for an eye!), I get excited to see really efficient usage of a 256x256 texture sheet. For a 3d design fan, a 5 hour render is a sign of excellence, for a game art fan, it has to be 60 frames per second. Game art is rarely interesting as a static image, 3d renders are nearly always single images (unless you can get time on a render farm).

Really, if you’re really interested in getting more exposure as a game maker or artist (aren’t we all?), one of the fastest ways to get more followers is to make a fan game. Most of my subscribers were picked up during the development of my Battletech fan game. It’s possible that some of them will even transition over in to following your new projects with enthusiasm, though really you have to choose either to make the game you want in the wilderness or a popular game which you have little control over.

If you do decide to do a fan game here are some tips based on my experience:

• Pick a franchise which is well loved but has been waiting a long time for a new installment. I chose Battletech/mechwarrior at a time when it has been over ten years since the most recent game was released. People were hungry for anything with giant stompy robots in it.
  • Chose something that you actually enjoy, you’ll have to become an expert in it by the way. Deviate from cannon or make too many unwelcome changes and your “fans” will let you know about their displeasure.
  • Pick something older gamers remember from their youth. They’re the sort of fans who won’t be put off by “old school graphics”.
  • Consider making a remake of an old game. There are a lot of people who would be attracted by such a proposition.
  • Resign yourself to never being able to sell the game or raise any crowd sourcing funding for it. It’s purely a promotional exercise. If you start trying to make money out of someone else’s Intellectual Property, they will notice and you can expect to be told to stop development and distribution, leading to a complete waste of your time and effort up to that point.
  • Find something which has an active fan base in a different media, for example books, tabletop games, or even music (yeah, you could make a Metallica fan game, with a shortest straw mini Game!) but again, steer clear of companies who aggressively pursue their IP.

Some companies have been known to threaten legal action against fan games or even fan mods, even when said games were totally non profit. They claim such work can dilute their IP. Some to avoid are Starwars, anything to do with Games Workshop, anything related to Blizzard, Disney, Nintendo… those kind of things. Other companies have a very positive response to fan art, seeing fan games as just a simple extension to this genre of art.

When I was actively developing a fan game I was picking up around 1 subscriber a day on my youtube account. These days, almost nothing. :slight_smile: It really can work, but as I said, the choice of whether to make a fan game is up to you. Art is always about a trade of between popularity and integrity.

Also, here is a very popular Google+ page for Blender related stuff:

25 million views!

They often share BGE related stuff too.