frame rate

I don’t understand what the frame rate does exactly. When I adjust it my animation either slows down or speeds up. Is it purely for speeding up, slowing down animations? When I make models for a game for example, can I use 24 fps for one model and 60 fps for another model or do I need to be consistent and use one fps for all models?

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Render/Output

Frame Rate
For an Animation the frame rate, or how many frames will be displayed per second, which, by default, is 24 frames per second, the standard for animation. Use 29.97 frames per second for USA television.

When I make models for a game for example, can I use 24 fps for one model and 60 fps for another model or do I need to be consistent and use one fps for all models?
Give specifics (blend files, screenshots etc etc), on what you want to achieve.

I’m just looking for information on frame rate.

The frame rate is just how fast the frames are played, so animations speeding up or slowing down is a side effect. If an animation is 24 frames long, at 24 fps, the animation will be 1 second, but at 60 fps, it will be faster. You don’t use it to time your animations, and typically you don’t need to move it off of 24 fps.

Thanks for the info.

Another way to look at it, if you want a 10 sec animation, you can make it 300 frames @30fps,
or 200 frames @20fps, etc.

The higher the frame rate, the smoother the animation, but longer time to render.

It’s good to test an animation at a lower frame rate, even 15fps, to save time…then change it to a higher rate.

You can also set a custom fps…whatever you think looks good or takes a reasonable time to render. :smiley:

Thanks for the additional info. Clears things up even more.

In other words, fps means “frame per second.” It’s the number of frames that will be shown during a one-second interval.

If you render out movies it also determines the encoded framerate. And when you import sound it’s matched to the current framerate. But when just working with basic 3d stuff, you shouldn’t need to worry about it.

I have also a question about framerates.

I loaded a footage with 50 fps as a background movie.
When I change the framerate in the render menu it speeds up.
But I need to animate smoke which should fit afterwards with the footage.
When I animate with a framerate of 24 fps it doesn’t fit after I rendered it out.
And if I animate the smoke with 50 fps it is slower as it should be am I right?
Because the location is correct with the fast footage but the smiulation is at it’s normal speed.

How can I do that?