Fred - Les Contes du Rêve-Minuit

Hi Everyone,

I had the chance to work on this poetic short film directed by Vincent Joubert : Fred - Les Contes du Rêve-Minuit. I have designed, modeled, textured and shaded the small insect you can see at the beginning of the movie.
It was an opportunity to try a new techniques for sculpting the high frequency details using python. It might be a bit overkill, but I really like to explore new way of doing things and I’m pretty sure could be use for many other purposes as well.
Thanks to Vincent for his trust :slight_smile:

You can see more images on my artstation :
ArtStation - FRED - Insect, Laurent Boucher

Here is the full shortfilm :
FRED les Contes du Rêve Minuit - YouTube

Hope you’ll like it !

76 Likes

Very nice model and interesting technique as well, haven’t even thought you could sculpt with python, but then I’m not a programmer so. So good work! Will be watching the short when I have time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love everything about it. Colors, details wow :star_struck:

1 Like

Amazing fidelity. Wonderful scene.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Wow,

very nice work. Good job with the detail, focus, and greenery is very realistic. I like it. :+1:

Very good job. :grinning:

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

that first shot is simply gorgeous. Outstanding work on the insect! Love the sculpt and colors. The environment is fantastic as well, congrats to all involved.

1 Like

Wow Thanks everyone for the warm messages :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

And a huge thanks to @bartv for featuring my work :love_you_gesture: its so much apreciated

@Tell : I’m also not a programmer, but I’m trying to learn python on my spare time which allows me to try this technique. But to be honnest since @pablodp606 implemented the Cloth bursh in Blender, introducing a more ‘simulation’ approach to sculpting, It was a game changer. I do beleve that implementing more dynamic way of sculpting could make blender so unique :

• Poisson disc → is more usefull than a ranom distribution as it ensure an even distribution witout clumps. It could be useful for Skin pores for exemple
  • Reaction diffusion → This pattern can be realy tedius to sculpt by hand but it is easier to compute

Using my python script allows me to achieve the result that I wanted, but it is far from being efficient and requires many iterations. It is not interactive enough.

Here is the process :
1- I’m painting my density map, than I run the script that require some time to compute.
2- I’m looking at the outputed height map and I try to evaluate if the output is good enough. If it looks good I’m contrinuing to the next step, otherwise I’m going back to step 1
3- Importing the heightmap to a sculpting software, and most of the time this is when I really realize that some distribution doesn’t work well, ( too dense or not dense enough). Same here, if the result is not good enough I have to go back to step 1

So basically to really be efficient it would have need more interactivity, and being able to see the result on the mesh itself instead of on a flat texture.
The cloth brush it really good for that because the simulation happens on a limited zone and the defomation is visible after few miliseconds.

I really Hope that Blender developers will go a bit more in that direction in the near future :slight_smile:

Cheers

3 Likes

Amazing work! branch, composition, materials, lighting, love it all!

1 Like

This looks gorgeous, congratulations!

1 Like

Amazing model and render.

2 Likes

absolutely incredible work! May I use this as my computer desktop?!

1 Like

Oh of course please help yourself, I’m flattered :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: