Free 3D Photogrammetry with MacOS Monterey on M1 + Intel chips

BTW if you want to import USDZ files into Blender on Mac OS all you need is

1. change .USDZ to .zip
  2. unzip

In the new folder you will now have a USDC file Blender can natively import

Note: you need to add the image texture to the color slot manually later

1 Like

I found this 3D Object Capture Adds Sketchfab Integration - Sketchfab Community Blog - Sketchfab Community Blog

Looks like it uses the Apple Object Capture API too, and when you use their app it captures a gravity.txt and sometimes (not sure why only sometimes) a depth map.

Interestingly enough the Mason Moves App saves the gravity txt and the depth map too.
Has a nice sphere where it tracks with points where you have taken a picture when walking around the object. While that is an interesting feature it seem unstable and crashed on me after 127 pics.

Interesting was that the same pictures gave a better result in PhotoCatch

Depth map however worked this time. I sure get why that could be handy for the Object Capture API.

thats interesting - there are now few new 3d scanner apps for macOS including even 3d scan app which was iso lidar only

3D Scanner App works really well - the UI is fantastic !

Thanks for sharing, I will definitely try both.
I did try 3d canner app with Lidar at some point but that has bee ages.

all the lidar scanner apps are junk because well of the LiDAR sensor in the phone.

3D Scan App for mac is a GUI for object capture :wink:

One thing that is nice about Photocatch is that it auto saves an USDZ file - so in case things crash while exporting to obj you have a 3d backup file already

1 Like

PhotoCatch sure seems fairly stable.

I however just made my Mac Lockup by running 3d object capture from Sketchfab and opening the Photocatch obj in Blender :smiling_face_with_tear:

Also not sure what is up with the depth maps, it does not seem to make any difference in PhotoCatch if they are there on not, and the Sketchup Object Capture does not look any better.

Capturinator just keeps crashing for me.

Yeah bit crashes doe me too

What is the sketchUp scan app u mention ?

Blender locked up your Mac when opening the obj ? How big was it ?

I don’t thing it was the obj but object capture running in the background.

Has a Mac and an iPhone App.

the 3d scanner app seems ok, nice that I can just check all the quality levels if I want them.

The connection feature is a nice touch too of the 3d scanner app if you have it on the phone.
Is way slower than airdrop however.

a somewhat good app is also WiDAR on iOS and Android

free not as high res mesh as polycam

since object capture is part of macos now polycam photogrammetry (based on object capture) is kinda obsolete when you have an M1 mac.

Correction: that app is not from Sketchfab, they merely export to us.

Ok was not sure if they hired an asian developer to make the app, thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

I thought this would be of interest

200$ Blu G91 Max 108MP vs 1000$ Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max 12MP

So while they say in photography MegaPixel isn’t all, in photogrammetry it really is:

Left Blu vs Right Apple

This is pretty interesting - so even budget phones can be super handy for photogrammetry and not only high-end smartphones.

2 Likes

This is quite amusing:

From left to right

Blu G91 Max - iPhone 12 Pro Max - Canon D80

Shockingly the 200$ Blu budget phone defeats the over 1000$ devises.

Blue shoots 108MP native and iPhone 12 MP and Canon 24 MP.
Both iPhone and Canon images were ML upscaled to 108MP.

2 Likes

Interesting tests, which one looks better textured?

The upscaling sure seems to help a lot, did you use Topaz or something else?

So what I found interesting is that upscaling does help but the method does not matter.

In did upscale with Topaz, PixelmatorPro ML and Lanczos.

Also sharpening the image seams not to matter when upscaling.

The Blu g91 max photos are oversharpened I would say so I would need a 108MP camera that sharpens less to compare this realistically.

Upscaling does really improve a scan so when you do not have access to a 108MP camera then it will help.

But a native 108MP or even 50MP will help a lot on getting super mesh details.

Friday I will get the Xiaomi Note 10 Pro which has the same sensor like the Blu but the image processing I think will be different and I am curious what the result will be.

If the rumors are right apples iPhone 4 will have a 48MP sensor so I will invest there more

But the fact is a budget crap phone is all you need for amazing photogrammetry

And when you are on android anyway then you have fantastic options to choose from with better midrange 108MP phones like the Xiaomi 11T Pro.

1 Like

I do hate Android with a passion, more then windows :wink:

I was looking a bit at cameras as I found the 12 MP from the iPhone a bit lacking but I did not try upsampling yet.

Do you have a non upsamples 24 MP Canon pic would be curious how that compares as it is double of the iPhone.

I am wrong to guess that texture map is best with the canon?

I have a 700 mb file I can share with you

Regarding android I do think iOS offers simply more creative pro apps but android itself improved a lot.

You can have the same swipe gesture for back multi task etc like iOS and then it works quite well.

But selecting an android etc is a pain because of the shear flood of devices and then not all apps do work as intended.

yes might be interesting to see if you don’t mind.

I think I might know why the Blu 91 pics looks to sharp, it looks like it is used g a 48 MP sensor and software trickery to get 108 MP?

Yes I think that has been always the advantage of Apple their phones are pretty much all the same hardware so it is easy to make software work on all of them.

I have however not touched android in like forever so I cant say how it works is now :wink:

Another thing I have been considering is a Insta360 ONE RS as it does 48 MP and if you have both / the twin model, then the fish lense could be easy do make HDRIs.

It uses the Isocell HM2 sensor which is 108MP. Previous models had a 48MP sensor.
It is really a pest with Xiaomi for example because having Pro, Max, Ultra or what ever at the end of a name can mean many things for what camera and sensor is built in!

Here is the file: no textures so you can see just the mesh. The scans are named.

Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 8.38.21 PM

1 Like

It matured well I have to say - I still think there are issues with the skins. Samsung’s keyboard is so packed I miss keys. The Android skin on the Blu G91 Max is nicely trimmed down without all this extra gadget stuff and most important for me a keyboard that is light with big keys :wink:

Some iPhone apps offer on device upscaling

NeuralCam for example can upscale all types of photos wide Tele or fake macro to 48MB.

But it takes time for each shot to process.

I also often cannot see much of a difference between the camera app that did it or topaz or PixelmatorPro.

My next set of tests is to do a small vulcanic stone as a macro shot for photogrammetry