Free George Rig 1.3 released

@JiriH: I pulled down the second George 1.1 and all looks good initially. Thanks for revising the rig so quickly!

I put George in a ruined city and did a couple over night renders in Lux. I attached the images to the George Hair thread here:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1425009#post1425009

In this picture he reminds me of Luke Skywalker:

I looked at the rig,controls etc. I haven’t play with it enough yet though; but you did a pretty good job here.

Thanks for sharing

Only way to describe it is to say that is has a overly massive serving of epic and awesome.
Colorful I know, but this is a really, really good rig and I will definitely be using it very soon.

Thank you very much for you kind words. I am really looking forward to first animations. :wink:

Double post. Sorry.

cool rig, the hair is a nice edition, so is the rendered image above

Really excellent work - and even better timing - as I attempt my first character!

Thanks for sharing

JiriH, thanks for the amazing rig! I’ve played some with it and I really like the way it works.It is pretty responsive and offers a great deal of control.

Only thing that bothers me are four handed arms (I know that this is cartoony character, but they always freak me out (those arm only look good on Mickey Mouse)

Keep up the good work! (and in time, I would like to hear that “bones follow the blendshape” trick)

Thanks!

Riste

Thank you all for positive response here as well as at BlenderNation.

I was really surprised toady morning to find out that after just one day of BlenderNation announcement the rig was downloaded more then 1 000 times (not including possible mirrors).

This is really encouraging for next work. I have got some really cool new trick in my sleeve still.

Also an idea that come to my mind recently is to have some advanced rigging presentation in autumn Blender conference. Do you think you would be interested?

ristesekuloski: You are right concerning four fingers hand. The reason all animators and cartoonists should frankly admit is that we are all too lazy for normal five fingers hands :slight_smile: Shame on us :slight_smile:

The rig was spotted by the Czech Blender community which is nice as I am active nearly only here at BlenderArists.org
http://blender3d.cz/drupal/index.php

thanks for sharing your hard work on the rig. quick question, if I might, how did you make the top right panel able to keep a “camera” view on George’s face? Seems like you have 2 cameras, but I didn’t see them in the outliner. ?Seems like you have 1 camera in front of George, and one tracking his face, though I only see 1 camera in the blend. Perhaps I am overlooking something.

Thanks again, the 1.1 revisions really helped.

P.S. a 5 finger version would be cool too, not that George has 5 fingers. Though I’m sure Etch-A-Ton can help in that area.

blenderificus - no special trick regarding face camera. The camera (Camera_Face) location is under CTR_Armatin in the Outliner.

Camera_Face is child of CTR_Armat - CTR_Head bone. This is how camera always follows face correctly.

Camera_Face is in the third scene layer. And as you can see in an upper right corner 3d window (default George rig blend) this window has unlocked the active camera (in this file called Camera_Render) so Camera_Face view is still there.

I hope this is understandable. If you need higher detail do not hesitate to ask.

JiriH

Thanks for the description, its a useful technique I haven’t seen used in blender before. I appreciate you sharing the details about its workings. Your rig is quite functional without getting too busy/messy, just the way I like it. Thank you again! :slight_smile:

Thank you very much. Yes, the animator friendly rig was one of main aims.

JiriH:
Having tested this rig out a little bit, there were just two things which I felt are in need of some attention.

1. Having all the objects necessary for the rig to work to be all included in a single group. By doing so, it would be much easier to link the rig to other files, by just having to include a single group, instead of going through and highlighting all the objects in the file everytime.

2. The placement of the controls for the upper arms in particular (lower arms might also be affected) is really bad. It is often very hard to select these as there are many poses where the arms are down by the sides of the character, and the controls end up falling within the region of space occupied by the big torso control (box-like thing around the neck+shoulders). Maybe if these widgets were a bit further out it’d be easier to select?

BTW, the hairstyle that someone made for this rig really gives it an extra level of polish that I think is quite nice. :slight_smile: If all parties agree, it would probably be a good idea to release the rig with this included?

Aligorith

Thank you Aligorith for your opinion. First of all I am really honoured that you are commenting this rig because without your great constraints coding this rig will not be possible to make in Blender.

Ad 1) I am considering to make the rig from scratch in Blender 2.5 when it will be released. To make proper grouping for the rig linking is the first point on my list. To be honest I wanted to release the rig sooner then 2.5 is out and the time was running.

Ad 2) I have also noticed this. Actually I am testing/animating George to collect and solve all such issues that practical usage reveals.

As these findings are not too problematic and it would not be good to release updated version every other day I will include this enhancements within some bigger future update. Including hair style :slight_smile:

One more thing that probably will be touched is arms/legs IK squash & stretch mechanism. I will probably use Bassam’s solution (Mancandy) because mine is not the fastest one when an animator needs copy visual keys (for seamless IK-FK switching).

BTW, Aligorith, are there already any ideas how macros will be integrated in Blender 2.5 and its interface?

Mainly for riggers this may save lot of time. Nice examples are:

• IK-FK & FK-IK seamless switching steps using one button;
  • left right poses mirroring using one button;
  • clearing all bones or even objects loc, rot, scale using one button etc.

Thank you

There is new version of the George rig 1.2.
Main enhancements:

• new stretchy IK system (much better for FK - IK switching)
  • bending bones work correctly in stretched positions
  • nicer IK torso bones shapes as requested by users
  • many other “under-the-hood” tweaks …

FOR DOWNLOADS SEE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD!

I have been searching for an intuitive and powerful rig for a long time, and your rig is everything I wanted and more! The only thing really wrong with it, in my opinion, is the modeling. It’s nice and clean, but it lacks some appeal. I managed to score the MooM .obj from Ramtin Ahmadi, if you’re interested. Apart from that, my only critiques would that you should maybe sacrifice the flashy GUI in favor of a wireframe modeled bone-drawtype background. So basically trace the background in a flat, faceless edge-only model, than set it as the drawtype for a bone which would be the parent of all the sliders. That would be a lot more user friendly, as you move the panel around and you wouldn’t need a window just for the panel. Also, people with bad graphics cards, (like me) could actually see it.

Just a few thoughts!