Free Movie Compositing Software?

Hey guys.
Blender isn’t the best option because i have to sync the music to my dance video and i don’t want to convert the audio file to wav or anything.

I have been looking but i haven’t found anything online.
Please keep the comments coming.

I 2nd Craigo’s comment-with the ffmpeg support (just select it as your output format), any audio track in the VSE is multiplexed into the output avi/mov file. I don’t need an outside package anymore to encode the audio. The audio file, at least all recording software I have seen, always records in wav format, be4 compressing into an MP3 or other format. The WAV format is literally a digital recording of the pulses, so it is the purest. Select that, and use the Audio HD add audio track function in the VSE.

I don’t know if you are dancing to the music, or separately and have to sync the dancing to the beat of the music, but the VSE has a great effect called Speed where you can speed up or slow down a video strip. You could use that to sync the video to the actual music.

I hope you’re not planning on using an mp3 then… nearly all video editors i’ve used have choked on mp3’s, but converting to wav is not exactly a big deal.

well i was going to.
Man it’s just a dance video not a elephant dream part 2. I just need something simple and efficient.

if you install linux you can have a full blown professional package for free…

Cinelerra -CV (community maintained version)
http://cv.cinelerra.org/

It really is nice, and has lots of features only found in the big boys packages that cost thousands of dollars .

in my book it is a “killer” application that would make some professionals want to switch to linux.

anyways, if you dont have linux you could probably get it installed by a local shop for around $50, or free from a linux user group.

Cinelerra will even take live video feeds :smiley:

Re: Jahshaka
RUN AWAY RUN AWAY!!
They’ve spent far more effort on their splash screen than on their program, which is kinda ironic, since it seems to be so unstable that most “users” never see the splash.

The last news i heard on this project was that they were pretty much rewriting the whole thing from scratch coz the current codebase was so buggy.

Then they released a player based on the new codebase, promising more to follow.

…then nothing…
…then nothing…

Apart from that…
I get the feeling that by “efficient” you mean “I don’t have to think”.
You can’t even be bothered converting the sound to wav?
Seriously, if you want something that’s free, you are going to have to put in some effort. You really should give the blender sequencer a proper try.

Mmph!:thanks but no thanks. I dont want to install linux.

freen: No not really, by efficient i mean fast and simple. I can convert the sound to wav, but thats kinda a last resolve for me.