Free program that lets you run PC stuff on mac

I’m thinking about buying a mac, but alot of my software can only run on PC.Does anyone know af a free program that will let you run PC programs on a mac?

no. as far as I know, the only way to run PC programs on a mac, is to have it ported.

Just get one of those new macs that supports windows…you can dual boot.

How do you do that?

There is a program but its comercial. Called CrossOver.

If I’m right Transgaming Technologies is porting its cedega(Windows emulator) over to Mac.

What programs do you need? So we can help you if there is either equvilents that Macs have or tell you that the program you think isnt supported really is supported.

Microsoft Plus,Sim City 4 and a bunch of other games.

I just got a new iMac Intel Duo about a month ago after using only Windows and Linux for a very long time. Yes, you will be able to dual boot a new Intel based Mac, and you have several options:

1. “Boot Camp” is a free utility from Apple that allows you to set up and dual boot Mac OS-X and Windows. You do need a copy of Windows and you will not be able to access the PC partition when running OS-X. I opted not to do this, although many have.

2. Set up a “virtual machine” under OS-X and boot Windows in a window. AFAIK, the two options at present are “VM Ware” and “Parallels Desktop”. I installed Parallels Desktop (about $80) and -love- it. Super easy to install and runs many of the applications I need and cannot get for a Mac. You will need to have a copy of Windows and since it is a “virtual” machine, it will run slower than in “native” mode. 3D graphics will also run much slower (the 3D graphics cards aren’t supported yet, although some of the apps I’ve tried seem to work fine).

3. Last option I am aware of is “CrossOver Mac”, “DarWine”, etc. These are based on the OpenSource “Wine” which basically adds a “compatibility layer” between the host operating system and the application you want to run. In theory, your applications will run as fast as they would in native mode. I have no experience with either of these, but have tried “Wine” under Linux and can tell you that when it works, it’s great. But most programs I tried just didn’t work.

If you don’t have an Intel Mac then there’s nothing worthwhile. If you do then Parallels or Crossover give you decent compatibility but neither are free. I use Parallels for most Windows programs that don’t require graphics. I was even able to sync a WindowsCE GPS device using Activesync so USB support is getting better too.

If it’s less intensive games then it sometimes doesn’t matter that there’s no hardware DirectX support in Parallels yet. I managed to run the Houdini demo under Parallels.

They’ve said 3D support will be out by the end of the year and they’ve said it will be full speed and I presume since it’s a full virtual machine, it will be near 100% compatible with games but we’ll just have to wait and see.

Crossover supports older DirectX and I managed to play Half-Life 2 right through on my Mac Mini. That is one seriously good game and it’s surprising how well it runs on low end machines but still looks great. Because Crossover is not fully Windows though, it generally has issues with most other games I’ve tried. I think they must have designed it to be more compatible with the popular games.

I guess i cant really do anything about it because im buying a used Mac so it probably wont be Intel.

what kind of mac will it be?

oh, and tell us what generation of model

ex. don’t say imac, because there are a billion of those, tell us whether it is an imac g3 g4 or g5

thanks

The best you can get on an older Mac is Virtual PC but it’s pretty slow and again no hardware acceleration. On a 1GHz+ machine, you might get reasonable performance but I don’t know about game compatibility.

You have to weigh up the cost to performance ratio these days when opting for an old Mac. I had a G4 Mini and I wondered if it was worthwhile spending £450 to get a dual-core Intel Mini. After benchmarking the two and a G4 powerbook, the Core Duo was around 4 times faster than both. For gaming, even with integrated graphics, the Mini soundly beat the powerbook with a dedicated 64MB GeForce GPU.

I compared it to a quad G5 too and it came in at just over 1/4 of the speed.

How much are you planning on spending? To cut down on cost, you can also opt for an old CRT. That’s what I did because I prefer CRT anyway. You can get refurbs for about £30.

Free PC emulator…haven’t used it too much, so I can’t say how fast it is.

http://www.kju-app.org/kju/

From the website:

“Run Windows, Linux and a lot more Systems on your Mac. Q is a feature packed cocoa port of QEMU: Switch fast between guest PCs. Save and restart guest PCs at any stage. Easily exchange Files between Host and Guest. Q makes use of OS X most advanced technologies like openGL, quartz and coreaudio to accelerate your experience with your guest PC. Please remember: At the present state, QEMU is still considered ALPHA software.”

Forrest Walter
http://www.forrestwalter.com