Free Script Sundays - Free Add-ons

I would be interested in a script that marks all objects in files within a specific folder as asset. When you download assets from a store/ library, the blend files only contain assets and appending dozens of GBs of data to a blend file to mark them as assets is not viable. Nor would you want to go over hundreds of files to mark each of the assets individually. Instead, I want to move all assets to a folder, mark them as asset through a script and be done with it. Hope this is possible?

1 Like

Add my vote for this one please!!!

Actually, I already found a script that is capable of this:

So you can ignore my request :wink:

1 Like

@Amandeep For the Align and distribute addon, could you make it so that I can associate a custom hotkey (Ctrl + Alt + A for me) to have the Align and Distribute options pop-up? Ideally, it would work as though you use the Redo Last panel, so the settings can be edited live. That would be like so, but then without having to press spacebar to go to Redo Last (this is with Align tools):

I would also like to be able to do align and distribute one object in between two others, like this:

Currently, you need to align objects twice in X, Y and/ or Z to be able to achieve this. The way I imagine this to work is as follows:
If you have three objects selected, the active object will be distributed and aligned in between the others two. Note that the active object is the one that is selected last. So you could window select three objects, select the one to align and hit a hotkey.

If you were to address this, could the hotkeys be assigned within the addon’s preferences?

There actually are quite a lot of advanced align and distribute methods out there and it would be great if you could unify them in your addon. You may want to have a look at Align Tools, because it offers a few alternative alignment options, such as altering the objects’ scale and rotation.:slight_smile:

E: I can also imagine distributing/ aligning a bunch of objects along their local direction (so non-X, Y & Z) or inbetween the two outermost objects and the direction they create.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the great suggestions. I will start working on this free script series again after the holidays.

1 Like

Glad you like the suggestions, enjoy the holidays!

I actually have one more suggestion as I remembered there is an addon for growing and shrinking selections that has a bug. If you find this thing interesting to work on, you may want to have a look at: Zaloopok "Shrink & Grow Edge Loops & Rings Selection" add-on - #18 by Hologram, the last few posts describe the bug and I posed a more detailed video over on its github page. If anything, I believe this addon would benefit a lot of users.

I have decided to rename the series to ‘Free Script Series’ cause publishing addons every Sunday feels more like a job. Free add-ons will still be coming but not on any fixed schedule. So, there might be 2 addons in some week and there might not be any for 2 weeks. This will also allow me to work on addons which I had to scrap earlier because I knew they won’t be possible in just 6-7 days. I hope this change will relieve the stress of the process and make it fun again. :heart:

6 Likes

That sounds like a good plan! Would it be possible for you to stack and organize the current requests by a queue or even feasibility? That way the community has an idea of which one you are currently developing?

The 1st episode of Season 2 of ‘Free Script Series’ covering the new “Cavity Pass” Addon is out now! You can check out the video here:

What is Cavity Pass Addon?

Cavity Pass is a free blender Addon that allows you to render and composite a cavity pass of your render to add fake bevel and light effects.

Get it for free on my Gumroad
Get it for 3$ on Blender Market

4 Likes

Hi Jaidek, I actually don’t have any stack or order of the requests. I just have them bookmarked or written in notes and whenever I have time I just take a look at them and choose one to work on.

3 Likes

No worries! Thanks for the reply and we all appreciate the great scrips! :smiley:

The 2nd episode of Season 2 of ‘Free Script Series’ covering the new “GeoCables” Addon is out now!

3 Likes

Made this today.
It uses both the edge angles and the adjacent face angles.
Let me know what you think.

Might release it for the next episode of Free Script Series.

15 Likes

Very nice! Nothing worse than a triangle ruining your edge selection workflow. haha.

2 Likes

Very useful!

1 Like

The 3rd Episode of Season 2 covering the new ‘NGon Loop Select’ Addon is out. Please check it out.

3 Likes

Is it possible to make a addon for the Outliner where there is a Toggleable Auto-Expand to Selection feature when selecting a object in the 3DView?

Note there is a Show Active operator already in Blender, but one needs to hit the numpad period key or tilda (pie menu version) each time in the Outliner Area to get to the selected item (needed if have like 200 objects in a scene), but this requires the mouse cursor to be in the Outliner area each time.

1 Like

Hi,
I spend an hour trying to figure out some way to do this but could not succeed. If I find something in future I will make sure I post it here.

2 Likes

Thanks, probably needs to be done in C internally, just don’t understand why they don’t have the option already.

1 Like

Hello, I was wondering if there is a way to assign some sort of a shortcut to switch units between centimeters to inches. Sometimes I need to change it quickly, but it kind of annoys me to find it in the panel, then change the system Metric > Imperial then Feet > Inches.