Free Skybox texture *updated* Now with tutorial

I created this sky texture from pictures I took myself on a cloudy day, stitched together using the open-source tool Hugin, and then uv mapped onto a dome in blender. Free for any one to use. I can explain the process in a tutorial if there’s enough people interested, it’s an involved process but very straightforward and possible to do with all free tools (except the camera to take the pictures with.)http://canadianhoserstorage.googlepages.com/skybox.blend

TUTORIAL

sweet! looks really good

I can explain the process in a tutorial if there’s enough people interested, it’s an involved process but very straightforward and possible to do with all free tools (except the camera to take the pictures

That would be AMAZING! There is a great interest in creating skyboxes because we are on a game engine forums, and most of the games actually use skyboxes lol, that would be great, man, bring it on!

Cool! Could you do it with a ‘space’ skybox?

hmmm never thought of doing it with a night sky, that could be sweet if I can get the exposure right on my camera! I’ll see if I can get a tutorial up, might be a week or 2 cause I’m going off to university this week.

wow looks very nice… thanks!

Looks good… but it looks like a boring place to be. A night sky would be nice, epsecially if you could get it out in the country like that, minimal lights etc.

Tutorial is done!

http://canadianhoserstorage.googlepages.com/skyboxtutorial

Let me know if you find any mistakes or parts that weren’t clear enough, this is the first tutorial I’ve ever written so I guess we’ll see how it went.

Looks pretty good to me. I’ll try it out sometime when I get a chance to take some pictures.

Great skybox. Very well done. I never usually use photos but this is making me think I have to start. I’ll be off to the countryside for a while to get a few images for something like this.

Nice skybox! You live in a really awesome place:yes: :slight_smile: (wish I lived there :frowning: )

Ok so could anyone tell me how I would make a full sphere image? Like so you could look around at the ceiling or floor of a room as well as the walls.

I think that if you go into the “preview panorama” window (not the “fast preview”) you can use your mouse to align the view. left click on the very top of the aligned images to make the view face directly up. After that, under the “stitcher” menu, change the projection option from cylindrical to fisheye. Good luck! Post your results if you get anything interesting

So what type of pictures would I need? would I need one straight up then all the way around that one? I’ll see what I can do with a simple scene in blender or something.

Oops. Double post. It wasn’t working.