Free to play open source game project.

Hello,

The first thing you’ll notice is my post count, it’s 2. The thing going through your mind would probably be, some random teen who wants to make an MMORPG.

Well, I’m not, but there is no way to prove that to you. If you want to know anything about me just ask. I’m quite open. Or read my Hello world post here
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=192937

There you will find a rather long post about why I want to build a game, or film.
This is about, how, with who, and what game.

The premise of the project is to create entertainment for people who most likely can’t afford it. The people who need it the most. I have several pre-set rules, or boundaries for the project.

1. It has to be free for the end user.

My idea would be to allow company’s in good standing to help pay for the project. This is hard and nigh impossible. So instead, I also will be looking into a system of donations.

1. It has to be entertaining to people aged 12 and above.

This has to be entertaining for people of all walks of life. However it is intended for children from, and above the age of 12 to 17. The story I will be writing is a high fantasy one.
However this can change if the rest of the team would prefer something else.

1. It should work on any major platform, (windows XP, Ubuntu, Mac OS)

This has to be software that anyone can use, install, and update. On any system built after 2003. And with little or no knowledge in regards to computing.

1. There has to be a form of multiplayer, this doesn’t mean 150000 people, but a system of user hosting, peer to peer, or dedicated servers should be available.

2. The player has to be able to contribute to the community in any meaningful way.

People, like me, who have issues recognising emotions in other people have it easier on the internet. Everyone is on equal grounds. So everyone should also be able to add to the project on equal grounds. Someone who has a great story should be able to easily embed it into the game, and allow others to play it. This may sound like I am remaking spore, but I feel this is the most important factor. Community is what makes people feel part of something. Everyone should be able to do everything with the project, bar using it for financial gain.

1. I have virtually unlimited amounts of time. So we take the time we need, this cannot become a rush job. I am open to building several versions based on age classification.
    However for the time being 12+ would be the best option.

My skills are, writing, planning, and patience. Most of my input for this project will be writing the game’s story, and working on planning, and managing it. Until someone better then me stands up I am happy to do it all.
Currently I am planning the story in a fictitious world with the classic good and evil theme. I have always written for the more adult age category, so it’s going to be a challenge for me, and I hope you as well.

I am not the person to be haunting you with e-mails about daily meetings. I’ll usually be setting up once, or biweekly meetings. However I am always available for questions or ideas. Most of the discussions will be done on forums. This is for two reasons.

1. It’s manageable, everyone can see what has been written, and where the ideas came from, and how they evolved. In my experience, in meetings with more then 4 people things start getting out of hand, both over VoIP, and instant messaging.

2. People live in different time zones, I cannot expect a person from the US to meet up with a person from the Netherlands for a meeting that takes more then 2 hours. It just won’t work. Also people have lives, and I do not wish to invade them.

If you are interested in this project, in building it literally from the ground up.
Then drop a line below, send me an e-mail, or do whatever you feel is best to tell me.

My e-mail address is [email protected], and you can always reach me on steam under diviancea.

Anyway I am sorry for the long wall of text, if you read it all thanks, if not well thanks for looking anyway.

Kind regards,

Divance / René

I’ll reserve this post for future space requirements.

Reply1,

Currently I am still in the early makings of this story, the world however has been created ages ago.

The story will take place on the world of Gliese, which is an actual world, of about 7-14 times the size of ours. The stories that take place on the world are generally inspired, or based on mythology, and historic events.

For this game I am planning to put a person from outside this world into it, and allow it to play out like the Wizard of Oz, or Alice in Wonderland. The idea is to have a teen find a book, read it, and to be transported by it into this world. This would allow a good intro into the world, and it’s preexisting history, and characters. The use of the book will also allow for a good interface to edit the game.

The multiplayer will mostly be cooperative, in the story others have read the same book, and are thus also transported to the world. Each world will hold four players that can work together, or against each other in the story. If players get disconnected, or quit the game the AI will take the role over from the person that left. Players should be able to save the game at that point so the entire group can rejoin at a later time.

The community should include a forum, which is accessible in-game, and on a browser.
Mods would be hosted locally, by the players, until we can find a dedicated server. For sharing mods, and the game itself we can use a p2p network. There may be issues with ISP throttling, or blocking peer 2 peer, for those we would have to work with a partner such as Steam, or IGN to host the game, and mods.

I will now continue the work on the story, and post a update on it next Sunday, or Monday, for all those wanting to see something before they commit to this project.

I’d like to thank you all for your interest thus far, and I hope you will remain interested.

Kind regards,
René

Good stuff - very well researched and with plenty of imaginative scope. I can’t help, but look forward to the completed project!

Welcome to the forums. I will help contribute but im now working on 2 games ATM. Tell me what its about and ill try to make some stuff for it alright?

happy blendin

I will help once you tell us the story and what not. :slight_smile:

im willing to help but give us a little more about the story.

Currently I am still in the early makings of this story, the world however has been created ages ago.

The story will take place on the world of Gliese, which is an actual world, of about 7-14 times the size of ours. The stories that take place on the world are generally inspired, or based on mythology, and historic events.

For this game I am planning to put a person from outside this world into it, and allow it to play out like the Wizard of Oz, or Alice in Wonderland. The idea is to have a teen find a book, read it, and to be transported by it into this world. This would allow a good intro into the world, and it’s preexisting history, and characters. The use of the book will also allow for a good interface to edit the game.

The multiplayer will mostly be cooperative, in the story others have read the same book, and are thus also transported to the world. Each world will hold four players that can work together, or against each other in the story. If players get disconnected, or quit the game the AI will take the role over from the person that left. Players should be able to save the game at that point so the entire group can rejoin at a later time.

The community should include a forum, which is accessible in-game, and on a browser.
Mods would be hosted locally, by the players, until we can find a dedicated server. For sharing mods, and the game itself we can use a p2p network. There may be issues with ISP throttling, or blocking peer 2 peer, for those we would have to work with a partner such as Steam, or IGN to host the game, and mods.

I will now continue the work on the story, and post a update on it next Sunday, or Monday, for all those wanting to see something before they commit to this project.

I’d like to thank you all for your interest thus far, and I hope you will remain interested.

Kind regards,
René

PS; I will add this post to the OP for easier reading.

you sure convinced me! well said :slight_smile:

I wish there where more people like you who actually think before they write…

the AI system reminds me of the game Army of Two. the AI is almost life-like

To everyone who is interested, please send an e-mail [email protected]
Or PM me on the forums.

Things I’d like to know for now are time zone, and skill set. Which are the two most important factors.

Age is not a factor currently, however I’ve had poor experiences with people aged below 17, and will keep that in mind. Please don’t misunderstand that as me generally not wanting to work with people below that age, it’s merely an observation. Everyone is welcome.

Kind regards,

René

Wish I could help; still a beginner though so all I can do wish you good luck. Uhm, maybe if you still need help within a year or so xD.

Big news, an old friend, and partner in crime has offered to supply me with a website.
Work on that has begun now, and the first part of the script will be on here tomorrow instead of today.
This is due to some changes I wanted to make.