Free Video Course - DA3D Project 2 - Precision Model a Steel Stock Library for Blender 3

Update

The Getting Started section of the Different Angle 3D video course has 8 videos over 3 hours 30 minutes of content talking through the basic principles of 3D, Blenders interface and the modelling tools.

Project 1 - From the Default Cube to a Hay Barn has 4 videos which show you how to prepare a reference image from a photograph using Gimp. It then uses the reference image in Blender to set the relative scale of the barns components whilst you construct a Dutch barn. between the 4 videos are over 2 hours 40 minutes of content.

Project 2 - Precision Model a Steel Stock Library has 2 videos explaining where you can source information on the standard sizes of steel sections, how to model the different shapes with precision highlighting where Blender may sometimes unexpectedly moves vertices out of position. It also covers more advanced techniques such as setting a custom orientation. The videos finish by demonstrating how the components will be able to be used in Blender 3’s Asset Browser once a stable release is published. These 2 videos have almost 2 hours of content.

The larger videos include a timeline in the YouTube comments below the video so you can look back as a reference to find something you have forgotten without having to scrub through hours of video.

The posts below give a little more detail about the videos.

Original post

Hi all,
Its early days yet, but I have started work on a series of video tutorials for Blender 2.9
The videos are for absolute beginners at the moment and aimed at giving them an understanding of the concepts of 3D in Blender. The first 4 videos are now online and I hope to get a couple of new ones out each month.
My interests are in using Blender for hard surface and precision modelling more than the organic stuff, so the videos will probably be heavier on that side, but I will try to keep them suitable for all.

If there’s interest I will be continuing up to more advanced modelling and animation projects.

The first introductory video is below.

The Different Angle 3D YouTube channel can be found >> here <<
Don’t forget to subscribe to the channel to get updates when new videos are out.

1 Like

I have just added video number 5 to the tutorial series. This one looks at customising Blenders interface.

The Different Angle 3D YouTube channel can be found >> Here <<

Don’t forget to subscribe to the channel to get updates when new videos are out.

Its been a couple of weeks since the last video, but I have finally got video number 6 online. This video looks at the fundamentals of working in Object Mode, at 43 minutes its quite a bit longer than the others.
The video covers:

• Navigating in 3D Space
  • Duplicating Objects
  • Selecting Objects
  • Transform Options
  • Move
  • Rotate
  • Scale
  • Adding Mesh Primitives
  • 3D Cursor
  • Append models from a different file

Video Number 7 is now online, this video looks at the fundamentals of Vertices, Edges and Faces in Edit Mode. The series is now at almost 2 hours 50 minutes of free Blender learning material.

Video Number 8 - Edit Mode Tools is now online.
This video looks at Blenders modelling tools contained in the Tool Bar and gives an overview and demonstration of what they do.

This is the last of the Getting Started section and the course will now move on to a more project based approach where we can learn to use Blenders tools to create actual models that can be made in the most basic of home workshops.

Don’t forget to subscribe to the channel to get updates when the next videos are out.

New section to the Video Tutorial Series
Project 1 - From the Cube to a Hay Barn

The videos have now moved away from the Getting Started format which talked through Blenders interface, features and tools and are now becoming more hands on. The next few projects will be compiled under the title
Steel Frames and Fabrications
The first of these projects is to model a Dutch Barn which is for beginners and is intended to walk them through the process from adapting the Cube Object to the profile of an RSJ and using this to create the structure of the barn.

Video 9 is a tutorial showing how to use Gimp to size and combine a front and side photograph of a barn so they become a useful reference image. Though not a Blender tutorial, being able to use an image manipulation program is an integral component in the creative workflow if you need to create your own reference images.

The next video will use this reference image to model the Dutch Barn.

1 Like

Video 10 is now online, this video starts with the default cube and modifies it to become an Rolled Steel Joist profile. The RSJ is then positioned using the reference image created in video 9 to construct the steel frame of the barn.

Don’t forget to subscribe to the channel to get updates when the next videos are out.

A quick animation of the progress so far with the free Blender Tutorial, From the Default Cube to a Hay Barn. The animation uses Hooks to drive the change in shape of the Cube to an RSJ and the Build Modifier to animate the growth of the purlins and corrugated roof.

An explanation of how to do this type of animation might be included in a future more advanced tutorial, where er revisit the Cube to Barn project.

The free project videos can be viewed at https://www.youtube.com/c/DifferentAn… Don’t forget to Subscribe to the Different Angle 3D Channel and if you find any of the videos you watch useful please take the time to like them or add a supportive comment. It will keep me motivated to go on to much more complex Blender projects.

Video 12, the fourth video in the “From the Default Cube to a Hay Barn” tutorials, completes the first beginners practical project. The tutorial project is an ideal introduction for anyone new to Blender and looking to get an understanding of mesh modelling so they can progress on to create their own models and designs with confidence. The four project videos combine over 2 hours 40 minutes of guidance and instruction. Combining this project with the “Getting Started” videos, the Different Angle 3D YouTube channel now has over 6 hours of free Blender video training content.

With the “From the Default Cube to a Hay Barn” project’s first video creating the barn reference image from photographs using the Gimp image editor, I have also created a project asset pack with the barn photos, reference image and Key-Map showing the shortcut keys used in the project. The pack can be >>downloaded from Gumroad<< for free, or if you would like to support this and future project videos, you can make a small donation for the pack.

da3d-asset-pack

Project 2 - Plasma Cutting Table Design & Build

The next project will be the design and build of a manual Plasma Cutting Table. The design will be precision modelled to real world dimensions in Blender before being built in my home workshop.

The free project videos can be viewed at https://www.youtube.com/c/DifferentAn… Don’t forget to Subscribe to the Different Angle 3D Channel and if you find any of the videos you watch useful please take the time to like them or add a supportive comment. It will keep me motivated to go on to much more complex Blender projects.

Project 2 - Precision Model a Steel Stock Library
In preparation for Blender 3

Before building a steel fabrication you need to know the precise dimensions of the steel sections you are using. Instead of modelling the required steel sections each time you need them build a Steel Stock library to use in future work.

The first video for the project, Video 13 in the Different Angle 3D Video Tutorial Course looks at where you can gather accurate information on the available sizes of steel section. The video then goes on to show a few precision modelling techniques to create different profiles of hollow section steel and highlights problems you can encounter along the way. It closes with a demonstration of how quick and efficient appending the steel stock sections into a new fabrication project can be.

In the second video (video 14) of the project I will be showing techniques for modelling hot rolled steel section. It will finish with a demonstration of using the steel sections in Blender 3’s Asset Browser.

Project 2 - Precision Modelling a Steel Stock Library
In preparation for Blender 3

The second Video in the Steel Stock library project is now online and demonstrates how hot rolled steel sections can be modelled with precision. This covers some more advanced features such as setting a custom orientation.

The video ends with a demonstration of how the steel stock components can be appended into a alpha build of Blender 3 and setup for use in the Asset Browser.

If you are interested in using a library of steel profiles, but don’t want to spend the countless hours modelling each individual component, the asset library is available. The steel stock library I use containing 135 different steel sections and is shown in the video, is available from my gumroad site for a small charge: https://app.gumroad.com/robertburke3d

The fee will hopefully help me buy better equipment so I can make videos more efficiently.