Freedom and HDCP

Is any other Linux, BSD or Mac user out there scared about HDCP and DRM?

There seems to be a quagmire of legal hoo-hah floating around at the moment. Basically, it all seems to boil down to this:

If you don’t use an OS who’s vendor pays for the right to be HDCP compliant then not only can’t you watch HD video (regardless of whether you paid for it legally or not), but the OS itself or certain non-commercial applications will be prevented from working entirely on HDCP hardware.

Is there anyone out there who has seen anything about how Linux or other non-commercial software is going to be affected by the gradual influx of HDCP hardware and content?

I like Linux and I like all my open source apps like Blender and Gimp. Nothing against any other OS out there, but I’m quite fond of it, I’d like to keep on using it and I’d like to keep my use of it legal (i.e. no hacks or cracks that subvert DRM).

i dont know what you are talking about, but i doubt any hardware with linux protection, if it one day exists i will simply not buy, what i see is the opposite, many many more system are supported by linux, see sony ps3.

I sure hope there are enough people in the world who think that way, greboide. Hopefully then the consumer backlash against HDCP will cause it to get dumped for better technology.

Unfortunately, I am not so optimistic. There are a lot of computer users out there who don’t realise they are getting ripped off and will buy whatever the big vendors tell them is good.

In some cases what the big vendors sell IS better than the open source solution. Photoshop is better than GIMP, no doubt about that. However, that does not mean GIMP is crap.
Blender is different. It’s not better than 3ds max or maya or lightwave, BUT it certainly is not inferior. They all have advantages and disadvantages and Blender certainly has feature the others don’t have.

I don’t think the govenrment would allow it that all the commercial vendors of hardware and software alike start to boycot Linux by making it incompatible. And knowing microsoft, they’ll do anything they can to make Linux as incompatible as possible by making several hardware vendors sign contracts that say that they’ll make their hardware incompatible, among others.
That won’t happen, though. The US courts will not allow that kind of monopoly; MS already has a bad history when it comes to courts.

That being said, it would be VERY unethical not to let us chose our own hardware and OS and software. It’s the same as not allowing someone to consume their own drinks and food in a park for which you have to pay an entrance fee (I can understand the rule in a restaurant, however).

Well, the only reason we can play DVDs on linux is because someone cracked CSS. Luckily it fell through the Californian court system when it was challenged and now we are allowed, in most countries, to use the DeCSS crack.

Hopefully this set a precedent. But I’m certainly not going to hold my breath for vendors or publishers to actually create tools for reading HDCP media in a Linux computer. At least not OSS ones.

BTW I haven’t found a feature in Photoshop that Gimp can’t do with a little fiddling :stuck_out_tongue:

Not scared, just annoyed that there are airheads who think this stuff does any good. Someone will crack it soon enough. What annoys me more is that people let these companies get away with it. If I had a controlling influence over a majority of people, I’d tell them to stop buying media with copy protection. CDs don’t have any copy protection and music is still sold legally online.

For online movies, very few people are going to rip HD movies anyway. Our broadband isn’t good enough to cope with the file sizes yet so people will just keep ripping DVDs. I can honestly say that I’m not buying HD media for at least 5-10 years assuming I’m still alive and it will definitely be cracked by then and it will probably be viable to make backups of your own movies.

Is any other Linux, BSD or Mac user out there scared about HDCP and DRM?

Hey, I’m a windows user, and it scares me, too. I don’t like it when software decides what I can and can’t do.

Digital Rights Management is an oxymoron. I have a “right” to do whatever I want with those benign little ones and zeros on my computer. No company should have the authority to “manage” what I do with “intellectual property” (which is also an oxymoron).

I guess there are some aspects which windows users dont like either. Nevertheless, vendors of HDCP media are still sure to support windows - sure, you might have to pay for the privelige but at least you can watch the media without being forced to switch to some other OS that doesn’t work the way you want or need.

For me, and I’m guessing most linux users, it really grinds my gears when vendors just choose not to support linux. Is it really that hard? Surely there’s still profit in it for them - i.e. if I could watch HDDVD or BluRay with a FOSS player then I’d buy the hardware and the media itself for sure. I can’t be the only idiot who stubbornly wants to go against market share economics and use a different OS.

I think that the companies behind the two emerging technologies and most of the DRM movement have too much interest vested in things OTHER than “how do I protect my intellectual property”. My does Microsoft care who copies the latest movie or album? Why are they even involved in HDCP? Like Sony, they probably want to lock the market into using some proprietary format or system so that they can charge like a wounded bull for it.

One thing’s for sure though, centralised DRM, which we seem to be heading towards, is a much easier beast to crack than distributed DRM handled in house by distributors… at least if its centralised it only needs to be cracked once and everyone knows where to concentrate their efforts. Really, though, I want to watch/listen to my media legally if its at all possible - just not at the expense of all the other things I like to do with my hardware.