A few you might have caught a glimpse of this yesterday I had originally had done this for yesterday’s cgtalk.com speed modeling session (“cloth and draperies” theme, which might still be ongoing as of this post), but I quickly deleted my post after reading the full description of what I think they were really looking for and reading some of the replies in their thread - they were thinking more in terms of clothing studies on human models, not “draperies,” which in the most general sense can apply to fabric of all kinds (e.g. “casting of draperies”) particularly as reproduced in art with emphasis on recreating the flow, folds, dispersal of cloth. I’d extend it to include texture, translucence, and reflectivity, but as always everyone has their ideas what a particular type of study entails. Anyway, I liked how this came out, didn’t think it was bad for three hours worth of modeling, so I figured I’d post it for laughs just here (not in the cgtalk ss thread). I probably won’t work on it any more. Done in Blender 2.32.
The concept here was to recreate the random lift and flow of fabric moved by wind yet have the fabric constrained to certain elements (e.g. curtain rod, tie backs), air flow from a window open only part way. The way the drapes were made were through subdivided planes parented to lattices, which were then deformed. All procedural textures here except for outside photo on a plane in the back just to make the window interesting. Speed model sessions are limited to 3 hours, so the decision to use the photo was a necessary one. If it was four hours I would have made my own landscape Procedural textures mostly used, including on the lights (a number of lamps at work here). I made a quick tileable alpha map for the lacy thing flapping in the wind Transparency is also at play here, along with barely noticeable ray tracing on the window glass and curtain rod.
Thank you very much, tordat. I think the dolphins are better too. Blender is growing up fast, so we Blender artists need to step up the pace it seems to keep up with it. It’s an exciting time to be a Blender user thanks to the Blender coders and the community leaders here at Elysiun!
Very nice work robertt. It has a nice feel to it. Looking at the way the net curtain is blowing, I would think that the left drape/curtain would not be blowing so much. I’m probably wrong though. Good job
have you ever considered putting all your blender time into one big project. i always thought if i had the time and drive to create lots of 3d work, as it seems you definitly have the drive, that I would try to put together a book or somthing, like a childrens book.
have you ever considered putting all you efforts and time into something like this. like maybe writting a story and then using you blender talents to illistrate it??
Cyanid: Thanks. I wasn’t going for total realism here (I don’t think I’m ready to do that just yet), but if I had more time to do it I would have softened the fabric mesh up further and also focused more on increasing the accuracy of air dynamics at play here. I’m finishing up a real cloth study for cgtalk based on one of Da Vinci’s drawings.
three-dee: Thank you three-dee I got a lot of strange artifacts in the alpha parts of the texture I used on the white curtain while experimenting with ray tracing and translucence. I kept adjusting the angle and material values until it came out like this. Tricky, but I wasn’t too disappointed with the results given the time constraints. The speed model sessions are valuable because they compel you to go further and faster, plus it’s fun to see what other people do.
Your work is great as usual. But I do not mean to repeat what you’ve read already. I’d like to give you a hint what does not look right to me, as I know you want such comments. The curtains look to me more like as if the wind blows from bottom up. I think the loose ends would not stand away so much. If you tie a piece of cloth at the ends it would look more like a full sail (spinnacker, if you know how it looks). The force on the loose ends is not so strong as the wind has a way to escape. But the part in-between effectively blocks the flow of the air.
tlustock, I thank you for the detailed feedback and kind words I appreciate your time. I used a spotlight as a means to project visually on the screen (in the 3d edit window, looking at the model sideways) to draw where I thought the strongest point of wind (more of a terse strong gust I had in mind) might be and tried to model around that point (I deleted the spotlight soon afterwards), but that was early into the modeling it turned out, when I had thought I reached a good stopping point. Some loss of accuracy resulted afterwards when I started edit meshes further and move things around while trying to make this more artistic than technical, which can be risky Probably a case of overediting, which is always something to watch for when we make these things