Fresnel & blending factor...

I am getting explanations wich are not usefull through searchengines… it’s all mathemetics …

Can anyone give me an explanation in human language of Fresnel and the blending factor ?

md01

The fresnel effect is just that if you, for example, shine a light straight on at a sheet of glass, you don’t get much glare, and a lot of the light is transmitted through the glass - so low refl, low alpha.
If you look almost along the glass however, you get quite a lot of glare - so high refl, high alpha.
There’s also a point at which there is no glare at all, which depends on the refraction index (IOR) - for glass it’s about 56 degrees from the normal (ie from straight-on).

I don’t know how this translates numerically to the fresnel sliders in blender, but that’s the idea behind it.

Yes… so the slider makes this effect be more or less I guess…that means that there must be values for different materials… Do you have any idea in what way the blend factor comes in ?

Also … it seems that not too many people are using fresnel (I can see that because there aren’t many replies…) Are most people just leaving these sliders alone ?

md01

It’s only been 4 hours, and it’s not a well-known topic, so don’t discount it by the reply count yet.

Heck, even for a common topic I wait at least a day before considering the thread “dead”, and even then it isn’t always…

Standard values are 2 for Fresnel and 1.25 for Factor.

Martin