Frogman Normals not normal!

I have been battling with normal maps for a few days now. It seems when I get one thing right some other things go wrong.

Firstly. I’m not getting tangent maps right. They seem to come out a plain flat blue. So I use object mode but when I bake it, it seems to follow the uv contours of the low poly model’s uv map and squaring certain regions. Please look at the attched normal baked map. You will see that there is some seriously bad angles around the eyes. Aaanyway…

Next. When I map the normal image to the low poly model (using the normal setting in the texture option as well as the map-to option) it seems to map the colours of the normals in greyscale and not the height. When I don’t use the normal button setting in the texture panel, it seems to map like a bump but really looks horrible,… even with 25 nor!!! :eek:

So how do you get a smoother normal baked image from a high poly ver (multires) model that was originally uv mapped on a low-resolution setting? Jeesz, it’s even hard for me to make sense of this and I’m writing this! so if you don’t follow,… I understand.

I’ve tried using a normal map with a material setting with three textures. It kind of works but when I map the bloody thing it leaves these horrible seams! :mad: And also, look at those shadow areas. The whole model seem to be going toonish…it’s crazy.

I’m going home to try again (with some new guides and tutorials) but I’m really lost. Maybe I’m working the wrong way and I only need bump maps. Maybe all this sculpting work was actually a waist. Dunno…

Thanks for checking this out!

Attachments

Ok, first of all - you do not want object space normal maps. I believe they can’t do transformations, so they’re useless for any model that bends.

For baking a tangent space normal map, be sure you’ve got Selected to Active on. I’ve got a tutorial up on normal mapping. It’s not the best, but the only one I’ve got bookmarked, for obvious reasons :wink: . The actual process starts 2/3ds of the way through, maybe it’s useful.

Thanks zwebbie!

Great tutorial!

I figured it out over the weekend though. That Selected to active actually means I have to:

1. select the hi-resolution mesh
  2. shift select the lo-resolution mesh
  3. bake it!

Just make sure the multi-res are applied on both, that they are EXACTLY on the same coordinates, and that the UV’s are clean - NO overlaps. That angled problems you see up in the object mapped image above are now all smooth, So I guess my big problem was that I did not select both meshes :slight_smile:

Also. And this might seem a bit strange, but I actually used the flat, neutral plain Normal Map (like the one above) in photoshop with my tangent map to clean up the areas around the foot and breasts. The reason for the horrible and sharply accentuated shadows was because the normal map was trying to map areas that already has form. So that plain ‘faulty’ map is actually quite usefull!

Anyway. Thanks again.