Well, that kind of biased comment doesn’t help to make an healthy conversation.
hobbyist, beginners, working or unnemployed you can find them in 3 categories regarding AI.
I guess in advertising AI is more used, in animation I didn’t see it yet.
And it’s not two clear camps to me, some people have a radical opinion toward or against AI, and I’m not sure any of their vision will actually work in the long run.
In the other hand, these tools are part of our life now, they have great potential yet they have their innerent flaws unlike what people promoting AI want us to believe. Discussing that is way more interesting to me than trying to make a “us vs them” debate. We all live in the same planet at the end of the day …
I’m sure it’s a mistake you should definitly report it and I’m sure it will settle.
I’m having a hard time thinking about someone ripping your code with good intention. Indeed they may try to add malicious code after an update or else.
I don’t think it’s that they don’t care, maybe it’s just the best balance they found.
Extension platform is just an attempt to centralise ressources around blender, and it’s likely to be beneficial for blender and the community. But it’s just a subset of what blender is. And the goal was also to have extension as a community responsibility rather than being supported by BF.
Obviously they are much more cautious with code review that goes into blender, because it’s the core of their jobs…
Hello and welcome here !
Personally I don’t see GenAI applied to imaging exactly the same as GenAI applied to programming.
If I post some artwork of mine I consider that my intelectual property and I wouldn’t want that to be ripped of in any way.
If I post some code or an answer to someone online, to me it’s kinda participating to the overall knowledge base. I don’t mind if you take what I’ve wrote and use that for your own work even making money out of it. If that’s an issue for me I won’t post in the first place.
It’s also why I might react differently to AI assistants. If the claim is that we can take all the work of people to eventually replace them by AI , this is definitly wrong.
Now if we consider these tools as assistants, a shortcut to some result, or automation I think it’s a different stance.
Let me give you this example that is unrelated to AI but it’s also a bit similar to me : To make a complete character rig from scratch it takes at least 1 week.
Now we have autorigs that can do the same in a few hours, these autorig are based on the knowledge of other riggers and probably the study of hand-crafted rigs, books about rigging and so on. Yet on some cases they make riggers useless. Or as a rigger instead of having 1 week or more of work, you might now have 1 day of autorig + 1 day of small additions that the autorig can’t handle.
Does that looks like a fair situation to you ? Yet we are now crowded by assets / addons that are supposed to make us more creative and in the meantime it makes artists a bit more useless in some cases. Is this a good or a bad thing… I think it can’t be a simple answer…
Back to AI, I’ve used it in programming to save some time, and it was pretty helpful : I think I wrote 80% of my code and the 20% wrote by IA was pretty technical to a point it would have added extra weeks to figure this stuff out.
In this situation I don’t think AI is making programmers obsolete but it’s a powerful tool in some situation. And I think the way MCP is introduced by BF is heading toward that vision and to me it’s a good move.
I’ve seen a lot of BS MCP for blender that do nothing interesting nor useful and they claim that you basically don’t need to learn 3D anymore and that’s really a scam to me.
Now the fact that you can prompt an AI to try to clevery rename all your objects in the scene looks interesting. Just like being able to run a diagnose on the scene stuff like that. I doesn’t make art for you, it’s not a replacement of learning blender, it’s just a different way to interact with blender that in some cases can make sense.
I think it’s better that it’s done by BF with still a strong position about AI as an art generator rather than having different individual surfing on that hype with less ethics.