From Blender Subdivision To N.U.R.B.S. (IGES) for free

I downloaded MOI3d, but I can not even get files from Blender to MOI…and I missing something?

You missed something along the path. Moi works with 3DM files (or IGES, STEP…) anyway, no meshed models coming from Blender or other poligonal modeler.

I think he mean the version with subdivision support but is still in a beta stage, the upcoming version of moi, can convert subdivision into surfaces.
below some test mad with moi4 beta. from Blender Subdivision to NURBS solids.

2 Likes

Oh… it seem like only Fusion have a solution for mesh… thanks for the info.

Hey wait… Moi4??

1 Like

:slight_smile: is an hell of development but Micheal still doing a code deep changes in core from 32 to 64 bit and adding some new features such as subdivision, if you look close in there is a new button. SubD immagine

2 Likes

I’ve been a MoI fan since version 2, but I got tired of switching between MoI and Blender, and with the right add-ons, I can do anything in Blender I used to do in MoI.

Michael is the most sympathetic and helpful developer I know though, and the MoI community is great as well. I still visit the forum every now and then, just for the warm community.

1 Like

I have trouble/fail to exporting file(obj or stl) from Moi for not enough memory, but I know why now, hope Moi come out 64 bit soon. I like Moi interfaces very simple…for a industrial designer, we really need use iges or step to work with engineers…but I don’t find any good easy way to model by NURBS,Alias, Rhino, solidwork, they just not mean to be a design concepts tool, but Blender is, but no iges or step support.

Mesh and NURBS modelling, are totally different way to model, the NURBS, of Moi3d are the same of Rhino, in fact the original developer was Michael Gibson that sold his software to the McNeel, Blender is a good tool for concept and much more. Moi3d export and menage the commons NURBS formats as IGES STEP SAT and the native, 3dm the same extension of Rhinoceros files. I don’t understand why you need to export in OBJ from Moi3D, but if need some help I can try for you to save the file for you, but isn’t simple to export a good mesh from a NURBS model, is complicated task for many CADs, but if you buy moi3d, you can have the access to download the beta 4 under development.

1 Like

I heard Siemens NX have nice abilities in converting mesh to NURBS.
Does anyone familiar with it?

NX require over 6 GB of space for basic install never had the possibility to work with it, only SolidEdge, and even CATIA has an excellent conversion tool, but is over 6 DVD of installation, and they are a very expansive software, are not accessible for everyone like me. But now there are many tools for conversion and there are a new kernel API for geometric kernel for the conversion of mesh into solid. here a link… https://c3dlabs.com/en/products/c3d-toolkit/b-shaper/
immagine

3 Likes

Yeah, professional CAD software is mostly that huge and also expensive, because it is usually industry-specific. Nice to see C3D is granted by Skolkovo Foundation)

May I know do you apply the subdivision modifier or there’s no subdivision modifier at all in this?

If you use only FreeShip, or moi3d (commercial software was not ready out, only beta stage) you don’t need to apply the sub-div, because the geometry will was processed when is imported. and If you use FreeShip, the best way, you can mark some edges as creased like in Blender and you have a nice sharp edges.

1 Like

Thanks. I exported .obj z up from Blender (no subdiv), convert it to VRML 1 with Meshconv command line, import it into Freeship. So far all is good. Then I export it as IGES in Freeship and import the IGES to Alias, everything messes up.

can you share the file?

You can download Here

I saw and I have the same problem I think is these new version full of bug.

Edited removed zip for the conversion download the app on Git FreeShip
But I checked now after while and now work very works fine FreeShip lazarus available on git

here the file made with the latest testQuad_zUp.igs.zip (656.9 KB)

But that happen only with the latest version the developer is a newbie and I think is making a bad changes without knowing what is doing.

Cool, thanks. This version works. I compared the result with poly->subdiv->nurbs result in Maya, the freeship does a bit better. Have you tried the Blender Sverchok addons? I saw this thread with quite good result.

1 Like