From complex 3dm geometry to 3dprint-ready, how?

Hi everybody, I have a high-detail yacht (around 60meters), that I happily used for renders.
Now comes the need to print it in 3d with a resin-printer. The problem is: the whole geometry is full of non-manifolds, almost every plane and surface are flat faces with no thickness.
Cycles doesn’t care but printing needs a manifold, enclosed, watertight volume mesh.
What I tried so far:
Remeshing: voxel doesn’t work, the octree method up to depth 13 produces a 20M+ vertex count and way too low detail. (Notice that is a boat around 60 meters long, with detail as small as 1 or 2 cm).
Auto repair in 3d print software (I used Chitubox Pro and Lychees): needless to say, too many holes to repair, big triangles in all directions… a mess!
The only way to do this, as I know so far, is to make manifold volumes object by object. The problem is that these kind of files easily have way more than 1000 objects. It could take several hours/days of work. Totally unaffordable.
I think that maybe some method like BVH used by cycles to “see” closed volumes, could make this work possible.
So the question: do you know any automatic (or semi-automatic) procedure, or maybe some specific software that can do this?

Edit: notice that I have both the 3dm (rhino) and obj files

For really crappy geo I’d go with converting it to a volume and back to a mesh -

mtv

Playing with density to make it look somewhat nicer and voxel size to get the required thickness. Still, it’s never smooth sailing with these type of geos.

In case detail/density becomes an issue I don’t see a better solution than slicing the thing up into several parts. I’ve worked with geo with up to 200M polys though and while it’s a pain to wait for processing times and generally to work with, blender tends to get things done eventually (if the hardware is up for it).

1 Like