I would like to share with you something I have been working on for the past few day.
The idea was to try to make a fully procedural and customizable roof tile shader using blender 2.8.
So far it is possible to:
- Scale the tiles
- Change the aspect ratio of the tiles
- Add a bevel around the tiles
- Change the bevel thickness
- Change the bevel height
- Randomize the Z rotation of the tiles
- Change the “roundness” of the tiles
- Randomize the “roundness” of the tiles
- Change the gap between each tile
- Randomize the gap between each tiles
- Add some noise on the edge of the tiles (not quite happy with it though)
I also started to work on some of the outputs:
- Several mask to isolate the tiles
- And then you have from left to right on the following pic:
- A height map (with bevel)
- A common uv map per tile
- A unique uv map per tile
- The tiles position
- An example “albedo” - almost (with noise genereted using the unique uv map per tile)
I still have some things in mind but I’m nicely surprise to see what’s possible using only nodes.
For the future I plan on adding more options:
- A random x rotation (to tilt the tiles)
- Add some moss
- Improve the warp of the edges
After that it will “simply” be a question of creatinga proper albedo, normal, AO, etc. using the masks, heights and uvs output.
If anyone is interested, I will post the blend file when it is a bit more user friendly. It is quite a mess inside the nodes currently =)