Fund raising and Roadmap of Image Layers for Blender

I don’t see why Blender should not be a GIMP replacement. I want to keep everything in a single application if that is possibly and this is certainly a market trend. Afterall blender is already a sculpting app, video editing app , game engine. Why not a painting app too ? I have no issue donating if there is going to be a macos build I can use.

+1 but I believe that devs not so keen on either a. re-inventing the wheel for each app, or b. having to wrangle support for other peoples code.

I was talking in context of the thread’s title “image layers” not that this project should be a complete GIMP replacement. Actually the only thing I need is layers , the rest is already there for me. I don’t need the functionality of GIMP , just a simple efficient painting tool.

My remark of Blender replacing GIMP was a general remark and not only this project. Obviously it will take loads of projects to replace GIMP since GIMP crams tons of functionality in it. It may be even possible to port GIMP code to blender to make the development much faster but that is up to developers.

My only problem is that I use macos and I see nowhere a macos build.

gimp inside of Blender would be cool.
Or any easy way to add it. (a blender maintained “add” packages or gimp .zip files)
What makes me mad about Gimp 2.8 is my tablet pressure sensitivity doesn’t work,(with the latest 2.82 version i believe i cant even get the tablet to work at all)
it works fine in blender… it worked fine in Gimp 2.6 also, and it works in all other software i have tried.

IF Gimp was inside blender it would probably work.

Kilon, yes a macro or event recorder would be very helpfull. Could it be a script generator? To be recalled or distributed after recording?

+1 to fuse the GIMP code to make the image editor a full painting app itself, that for sure will make the open-source community and specially the artists happy i think… also the blender foundation can collaborate with the GIMP team and make a new mega-super open-source corporation… i´m dreaming now… maybe :wink:

Great work ruesp83

I saw a video on Vimeo not long ago covering some of the new tools. I downloaded a test build and it works very nicely too.

Off-topic: If Gimp doesn’t cut it then try Krita (Full 32-bit float image editing), or a mixture of MyPaint, Gimp, and Krita. Don’t expect all of those application functionalities to be magically placed in Blender for your convenience.

More or less that is what “Ephestos” will be all about. I am in a talk with a developer offering a version managment and distribution for byte code objects (his tool basically distribute actually compiled source code than just source before its compiled as its the norm with most version control system making the whole process faster and more live ) so I think I will be able to offer even distribution for the Ephestos addons.

My dream is that users will be able to create small tools with minimum knowledge on coding and able to upload them in a cloud community that other users then can download with ease. I think its doable.

But what has this to do with “image layers” or GIMP. You probably mean macros like Photoshop ?

As I told you sky is the limit. Everything is possible if you put the effort. Actually there is already a macro addon made by another blender user you can find around. I dont know if it would work with blender image editor but you can test.

For me blender need some better tools in compositor for colors… Like in photoshop Gradient maps… i really miss them.

To turn on pressure in Gimp 2.8.x You need to go into edit/input devices and set all of your devices to screen, have You tried that?

Gilles

good start.
The layerblending looks still very strange. I can see borders where I have painted. And when merging layers together alpha messes up!
But if that works this would be a great addition!
Also I think it is very important to improve the performance! Have you also planned something in that section?

I would donate gladly, but I never managed to get a test build working, on multiple machines.

I open the build from graphicall, load factory settings, open an image in image editor (jpg), change to texture paint mode, click add layer > crash.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Sorry if I answer with some delay, but I was engaged to prepare a workshop at Viewconference most other work.
I answer some questions accumulated in recent posts:

3pointEdit Amazing progress! Are painting changes refreshed in the node view if you have both windows opened together?

The update is not real-time, you have to “refresh” the nodes.
Maybe it depends on the integration layer incomplete, I do not know how it works compositing.

kilonMy only problem is that I use macos and I see nowhere a macos build.

I’m gearing up virtualizing a mac in a few days if all goes well I can get a build on GraphicAll.

Kramon For me blender need some better tools in compositor for colors… Like in photoshop Gradient maps… i really miss them.

It 'a nice feature I’ll see what I can do …

ndee good start.
The layerblending looks still very strange. I can see borders where I have painted. And when merging layers together alpha messes up!
But if that works this would be a great addition!
Also I think it is very important to improve the performance! Have you also planned something in that section?

Regarding the blending I I’m working and I’m also studying how to get it directly with the brush. In this way there is also an increase of performance

PLyczkowski I would donate gladly, but I never managed to get a test build working, on multiple machines.

I open the build from graphicall, load factory settings, open an image in image editor (jpg), change to texture paint mode, click add layer > crash.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I have tried several times to recreate the bug, but I did not succeed. you can make a video and send me a file. blend?

I also want to thank everyone for the compliments:)

tried it dont work on the Gimp 2.82(Tablet dont work at all…),
on Gimp 2.81(I could get the tablet to work, but without pressure sensitivity)

just tried on Gimp 2.9 and it dont work either… (Gimp 2.6 works fine)

this is the tablet i have(works in other software fine)

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10841&cs_id=1084102&p_id=6814&seq=1&format=4#feedback

until gimp 2.10 or 3 is out, the tablet functionality will be lost for windows users and cause some problems on linux aswell, because of GTK2 :(.

grrrrr… guess i’m stuck with gimp 2.6… :spin:

Here is the video. Windows 7 64 bit, build used - http://graphicall.org/908

There is no video! You are referring to the comment on graphicall?
I have pinned

Sorry, here it is - http://www.screenr.com/yss7

Try to send the image. Really strange! o_O