Furniture

Hi all,

Its my first time here. I have recently finished a model of a desk/chest/commode (i dont really know how to translate it to english, its that desk we have next to our bed). I have used Blender 2.49 including rendering. This is as small project for the Faculty and it will be evaluated for a final classification. I would like to know your opinions, critics, suggestion, hints, about it. This is my very first blender model.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/3954/renderfinalimagem.jpg

Thank you
Nuno

I’d pull the hardness a bit higher, but it looks very nice

one thing though, your composition could be improved, at the moment the background is not interesting, so it shouldn’t take up so much of the actual picture, also the pedestal only makes the cabinet look very thin and high

Well done, an excellent first model the texturing is very nice. To give you a bit of criticism, the lighting could do with some work and for a studio shot, the tube plinth is an unnecessary distraction. Stick at it and you’ll be amazed how much you improve over time!

Hi,

First of all thank you for your comments and sorry for my replying delay. I have followed some of your advices and cut, scale, resize, did some retouches, specifically to the model. But i have been struggling with the materials, textures and lightning. They are more complex and dificult to manage than i though. Maybe because i want them to be fairly realistic and dont know the exact paths/commands/Blender options to achieve that. I think i didnt told you the history behind this model but im trying to make an aproximate replica of an old furniture desk/commode i have in my room. Its a first half 20th century chestnut desk/commode. Chestnut was, and it still is a traditional wood to use in both popular and fine handmade furniture. Well i didnt finish the remake/overhaul of the furniture but here it goes the changes i have made:
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/8656/rendertextparcial.jpg
Well it is a bit diferent from the precedent model, as you can see i have changed the materials (to chestnut) and also the textures were remade. The scenery stills basicly the same with some changes in the camera composition (angles of view, more focus on the model, etc…). Im having an hard time working with the materials and textures. What do you think? Did the changes work well? I dont know if i will maintain the same wood in all the model. In that case i suppose i should work piece by peice (in detail) to differentiate some parts from others, and dont have a block of the same textures. Ho and my current lightning setup is this:
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/1020/43529191.jpg
Well i know its really simple, but im trying to find the right equilibrium. I have made an update to Blender 2.53 and im using ambient occlusion (0.60) and environment lightning (0.70).

Thank you all

Nuno

Hi,

First of all thank you for your comments and sorry for my replying delay. I have followed some of your advices and cut, scale, resize, did some retouches, specifically to the model. But i have been struggling with the materials, textures and lightning. They are more complex and dificult to manage than i though. Maybe because i want them to be fairly realistic and dont know the exact paths/commands/Blender options to achieve that. I think i didnt told you the history behind this model but im trying to make an aproximate replica of an old furniture desk/commode i have in my room. Its a first half 20th century chestnut desk/commode. Chestnut was, and it still is a traditional wood to use in both popular and fine handmade furniture. Well i didnt finish the remake/overhaul of the furniture but here it goes the changes i have made:
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/8656/rendertextparcial.jpg
Well it is a bit diferent from the precedent model, as you can see i have changed the materials (to chestnut) and also the textures were remade. The scenery stills basicly the same with some changes in the camera composition (angles of view, more focus on the model, etc…). Im having an hard time working with the materials and textures. What do you think? Did the changes work well? I dont know if i will maintain the same wood in all the model. In that case i suppose i should work piece by peice (in detail) to differentiate some parts from others, and dont have a block of the same textures. Ho and my current lightning setup is this:
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/1020/43529191.jpg
Well i know its really simple, but im trying to find the right equilibrium. I have made an update to Blender 2.53 and im using ambient occlusion (0.60) and environment lightning (0.70).

Thank you all

Nuno

Hi,

Here it goes the final version. Well when i say final i mean for now, hahahaha. What you think? Im having some difficulties putting some shiny/glossy look to the woods, trying to replicate the varnish coating. Do you think it looks too artificial? The materials/textures/colors blend well?
http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/999/renderfinaltotalstandby.jpg

Thank you
Nuno

Well it is a bit diferent from the precedent model

I don’t understand, I see two different models here. Sorry. The first looks like being the reference.

Hi Michalis,

Yes there are two different models. The first one in the first post lets call it the original. then i made an overhaul/remake (the second model) changing some things exept the modelling (well i scaled the legs a bit). To be honest im not totally satisfied, with both models. I feel there is a lot room for improvment, but since im a total begginer in blender its hard to manage/articulate all the commands.

Seems very nice to me as far as modeling is concerned. Materials is nearly there, try perhaps a more appropriate material for metal parts in the furniture. Also, have maybe an area light just behind your camera, to fill in what the observer would be looking at.

Well you’re using hemi lights only. Not the best. Area or spots maybe (inverse linear)
AO has a “distance” var, should be more than 5, ~20 maybe, so to avoid these dark corners.
You should try approximate indirect lighting, subdivide the walls as 16-64 quads this helps, 3 bounces maybe. Use sky color for AO, a blend (lower zone to a warm ochre grey color helps sometimes). In this case lower AO to 0.20.

A very good model, well done.

Why don’t you try using an external renderer, like Yafaray or Luxrender? Any external renderer will vastly improve your image with better GI and all. As of now, there is a good tutorial on rendering a Kitchen by Andrew Price using Luxrender. The techniques can be easily transported to your project.

Here’s the link
http://www.blenderguru.com/create-a-realistic-kitchen-part-2-of-2/

Good Luck.

that would be kinda overkill for a cabinet like this, where the environment is not really important as long as you use a reflection map

Once more thank you all. Well as before some changes were made. Here it goes:
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/9927/renderindirect5.jpg
I have followed your suggestions and it seems i can now get more intensity, contrast, luminosity from the materials. By the way now im using the Blender 2.53 Beta. For the World i used AO 0.20, Environment Lightning 0.60 White, Aproximate Indirect Lightning 0.20 Bounces 3 as sugested by Michalis. And I’ve changed to spot lights Inverse Linear, big difference. I’ve added a area light behind the camera as suggested by Ptbbastos. What do you think of the result? Satisfatory? Im getting to that point were i could be here changing bit by bit and never end the model, hehehehe. But unfortunatly i have to send it to my teacher for the final evaluation. If you have any more suggestions please go ahead.

Thank you
Nuno

Increase a bit the lighting, so it becomes easier to look at the result, don’t boost the lights too much, but a slight boost on the energy would be nice, to bring more life to the image. Also, increase the scale of the mapping of the top plane, so the wood texture looks more real. Maybe a few more here and there adjustments to the mapping of the texture and it’s ready to go I guess.

Its dark, where are “my” casted shadows? Except you don’t want them.
I’m wondering. Have you calibrated your monitor? Its too dark here.
Yes, increase energy of lights, not just a little, x2 maybe. Watch out the “distance”, Strength of approximate IL to 1 or more. AO ~ 0.1.

I’ve lighten up things a bit. I have calibrated the monitor also (at some level), thank you for remembering. Im used to work with my old Nokia CRT Monitor. Anyway i think the result is more bright and perceptible. Give me your feedback.
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/699/renderfinalindirect9.jpg
Thank you
Nuno

Its dark! No cast shadows, no lights! Com on, what do you see in your monitor? No cast shadows for sure, Its a fine model, render it!

Hi. Let me know if it is better now:
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/2461/renderfinalindirect21.jpg
Thank you
Nuno

that looks fantastic! i think a slightly higher angle on the camera and lights just to show off the timber on the top panel.
I love the texture on the legs, it is exactly what i had in my mind as it needing when i saw the earlier images.

thank you. In fact thats the point im having difficulties with. Any additional light source i add to the scene to try to lighten the top blows the rest way (luminosity and shadows), specially the walls. I have tried many different ways, maybe didnt find the correct and discrete one. Well i dont think its too bad having a darker top (as i though in the beggining), you can still see some textures. In fact im right now looking to the real model in a bright and sunny room (for instance mine) and the top look just like that, well maybe a bit brighter. But im really gona do it a try and thanks for the comment (suggestions would be nice!). For the rest i think this last result is pretty nice compared to the others. This is supposed to be a rustic/old furniture model (im not sure but it seems from the final XIX century, beggining XX). About the glossy finish. Well i really though about this but since im trying to reproduce (at least parcially) an old piece of furniture, a bit worn out, maybe its better to keep tjat look. As soon as i have some more results i post here.

Cheers
Nuno