Fusing two cylinders - Lamp Model

Greetings!

I have some doubts about how to procede and I have been stuck trying to get it correctly for a while now. I am trying to fuse or connect these two parts

The issue is that following what some other threads and info I found, it comes as: Delete faces of one piece then connect it to the other one manually or using the face tool. Of course, because both have subdivision modifiers, I feel its hard to tell whats going on when applying this to then modify the topology of the model (both share the same subdivision settings).

Deleting the faces of the lower part goes alright, as the edge loop is still there, and the upper also doesn’t have issues, no double vertices either. But when I connect or try to do things manually (pressing F for instance) it just does something I don’t understand or it switches vertices.

Actual Reference: image

Look at Moonboots’ answer on this one:

1 Like

I appreaciate the reply. I think I sorta figured out and its looking much better and similar to what I am going for.

Is there a way to fix this topology though?

1 Like

In the end I managed to fix 80% of the topology so now it looks pretty close as intended!

Bridge loops were the clue but I also had to delete the first cylinder because its vertex number was like double of the lower cylinder, so it was too messy. I also used the cut tool to make the shape (because the cylinder is not totally centered, its only like 2/3 of it are fused together) and using Bridge Edge Loops, and then fixing the topology was enough.

I Don’t know if you noticed this but you can also increase the number of cuts in the bridge function, which smooths out the transition. Could be useful.

1 Like

Didn’t notice! But I assumed there were some tools to help it inside the Bridge Edge Loops functionality.

I could have also used the Kniefe Project for what I wanted to do at the start but anyway it is nice to be discovering things and the manual work on the topology I feel made me learn a lot.