Futuristic mini-tank, advice much appreciated

Hi, I consider myself an advanced begginer when it comes to Blender. Been using it for four years or so, but never produced any amazing results.
I started building a kind of futuristic mini tank yesterday, and did some texturing on it today. The aim being to create a photo-realistic model which i could seamlessly composite into live action for a short film i plan on making in the summer.
Obviously total photo realism is a very hard result, even for 3d pros, so any help from you guys would be awesome.
I’ve added a lot of rust and wear to the model, to suggest it’s an outdated piece of equipment, manned by a renegade kind of character. But do you think I could get away with more?

Attachments

Nice, i like the overall design.

If it should be a real tank for humans sitting in the cocpit then the scale of the rusty textures is wrong. It looks like a miniature right now.
The Shader looks good to me though.

Try to add some complexity to the mechanical part (the part that drives the wheels) otherwise it looks toy like.

Oh… and a tank need some weapons… right? :wink:

tank represents in the dictionary… 1 of 2 things… a container for storing large quantaties of something… or an armored attack vehicle.

dont look like its good for storing anything…
its a vehicle… but dont look like its usefull for attacking anything.

My crits are as follows. and being you want serious crits i will treat is as if its int he focused crit section.

PURPLE
As rusted as the rest of the machiene its odd that the cocpit on this is overly shiny and reflective… even windows will get scratched, marred etched and fade over time… this one is TOO new.

YELLOW
As angled and futuristic as the rest of the moddle is these cheap bok headlights really drop the quality of the image and is more then obvios it isent even part of the origional body mesh. try makeing them smaller circles or LED light protrusions.

RED
Clean grey areas that are CONECTED to rusted areas. Look at ANY rusted object and youll find “corners and conections” are the FIRST to rust becuase they hold the water the longest… the headlight frame is not rusted… especially at the spot where it connects to the body in the middle of a rust patch really cheapening the look… as well as your suspension bar for the tread connecting to a rusted wheel yet the bar itself is still spotless.

LIGHT BLUE
The suspension itself seems very much unfinished, any pneumatic/hydraulic actuator is ALWAYS round because of its seals… yours are octogonal, the squared corners would cause several weak points in the seals and cause failure in preassure… so subsurf and set smooth to make them rounded. Also the main rod connecting the treads to the chassis itself seems a tad too thin for all the weight its meant to support.

WHITE
Vehicles with this style tread design are made qith 2 things in mind… speed… and most important… terrain mobility. there ARE robots wiht this type of design that can climb up flights of stairs and go over some impressive gaps… the big difference between thiers and yours… is ground clearance… your vehicle has almost none and one decent sharp rock int he middle would get your vehicle rather stuck… i suguest protruging the front wheels out a bit further and lowering them a bit to at least double the chassis ground clearance.

TEAL
Theres absolutly NOTHING to give the wheels/gears of the vehicle “grip” on the treads, tanks. construction equipment all have some sort of gear system with teeth that allows the wheels that give power… to actually grip the tread and force it in its circular pattern… your treads have nothing for the wheels to grab ahold off… which brings us to…

BLUE
the outside of your tread is ALSO flat and sparse… nothing here what so ever to grip the ground. add some sort of angular extursion if even so small and thin… it would add some texture to the tred and give it some grip on its many surfaces that it would be crossing.

Google is your friend… and there are MANY examples of tank treads to look over to create your own designs.

A bit late, but thanks so much for that in depth criticism. I found it really useful.

Honestly, I’d advice not working on the textures and such until you get the basic form correct.
Look at the comments above and start designing precisely what you want the tank to be able to do. Photorealism isn’t only in the textures, but human belief in what they’re looking at. If it’s posed as a speed demon car, most of the time, block and an unaerodynamic shape simply won’t cut it.

Once you get your basic idea correct, then start working on details. Make sure that you have a system of power, steering etc. The more detail you put, in terms of having actual systems (Drive shafts, an engine, treads, gears etc.) the easier it will be to accept as real. Nothing says if you model an engine it needs to be incrediblely detailed, especially considering it likely wouldn’t be viewed, but it would allow you to create power systems, drive systems and the like realistically.

Then, and only then, begin texturing. It’s harder to look at the shape and view it as only the shape when textures are present, which is what you need to do.

Oh, well. I just noticed the timestamp, I guess this won’t be useful to that project, but maybe another would benefit from it, so I suppose I’ll leave it.