Futuristic vehicle concept.

Hi,

I’ve decided to try and get an entry into this competition here:
http://events.cgsociety.org/NVArt/05/

The comp is to design and illustrate a vehicle based on the style of Syd Mead who designed vehicles for the likes of Blade Runner, Star Wars etc. For the competition you don’t need to post any work in progress but I thought as I’m going to be modelling mine in Blender I would start a wip thread here.

Here are some very initial design sketches, I’m guessing the final design might not look much like this but just wanted to get some ideas down before I start modelling. I 'll probably go back and forth like this until I have a design I’m more or less happy with.

Attachments

Started modelling a wheel. At the moment I’m thinking this vehicle might be some sort of sports utility vehicle, hence the rugged look to the tyre.

Attachments

Sweet tire! I know this is gonna be good.:slight_smile:

Looks cool! And as Mcrich said: I know this is gonna be good!
:smiley:

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys! I’ll do my best to finish this one.

Here’s some more development, I’ve started to flesh out the body shape. Done a couple of toon renders as I think the final image will be quite illustrative, so I’m thinking of mixing some different render styles.

Thanks for looking.
Chris.

Attachments

Had a few minutes at work to start thinking about breaking some of the form up with panels etc. Extended the side sill down as well to give it a more aggressive stance.

Attachments

I think this looks maybe too much like a matchbox car, consider eliminating the back fender/wheel cover so the tires are free to kick the mud wherever they please, giving it a more ‘batmoblie’ look. Some beefy shocks would add to the monsterous look.

Thanks for the feedback Kieth, I might do a quick and dirty version to see how it looks with the rear wheel arch moved. It probably looks a bit matchbox and the moment because it’s not in context, the final illustration will have a couple of characters and an environment which should help to give it a sense of scale and weight.

Here’s a small update where I’ve started to break up panels and add more detail into the bodywork. I’m thinking that this side will have a gull-wing style door that opens up as well as the bottom panel opening onto the ground.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

Hi,

A couple more updates, still working on the detailing and how the doors might open. I’ve got an idea of what this vehicles primary function will be in the final illustration but will do a couple of tests before posting anything.

Thanks for looking.
Chris.

Attachments

looks very good and i will definatly keep following, but i agree with Kieth M that you should cut some of the back wheelcover off, hehe big shocks would be sick.

other then no crits really, scale seems right :slight_smile:

Dude, awsome model dude!
Reminds me of borderlands for some reason…
This thing is big, the wheels are almost as big as a person, this could be a futuristic moon/mars rover/bus/taxi or something.
Yet if it was a normal car scale i would drive it!

Cheers for the comments guys!

@The_Warder - I’m still unsure about taking the rear wheel arch off, I think it would look cool and might try it after I finish this illustration for the competition.

@DDD - You are thinking along the right lines, my initial idea was for this to be some kind of big futuristic SUV that would be used in an alien environment. I wanted to start with the main shape of the vehicle and will start adding bits and pieces now that will give the vehicle more function.

Not updated in a while but this is where I’m at now. The vehicle for the most part is done, I will probably add decals, dirt etc in photoshop. I also need to add some characters to the scene.

Does anyone know why my textures on the ground are blurry? I’ve had this problem before I couldn’t sort it out.

Thanks for looking.
Chris.

Attachments

HOLY… I LOVE IT!!!
But seriously, that looks awesome. I like how you put the second one in the background with its back turned-- pretty neat way to show both front and back sides of the vehicle mate!

As far as the ground, how did you do it? Modeled it? Do you have bump map? Maybe you texture is too low res thus the blurriness. But i like this way, because the blurriness, makes the car stand out more. Did you use nodes(I am guessing you did…)?
Is this like your pre-last render? or do you have more work planned for it?

Oh and i like the scene in general…the rocky surface i think goes very nicely with this car.

Nicely done, I want to see a close up of the back end :slight_smile:

Cheers for the comments guys!

@DDD - The ground was quickly sculpted starting from a plane, the texture resolution is 4096px so it shouldn’t be blurry. I’ve had a look around for answers and have a couple of things that I need to try to resolve when I get chance. I’ve not used any nodes for the above render. The render is just to get an idea of the lighting, textures etc at full scale, which is 2560px x 1600.

@tdietz87 - I’ll defo do some more renders once I’ve finished the illustration for the competition. Possibly some studio type renders so the vehicle is the only subject matter.

That is just really neat! To be honest, I have seen similiar concept art before and going back to about ten years. For some wonder reason, none of these artists ventured more into a highly evolved and concrete design. I think you have pushed the barrier.

Nice work. Love seeing how the design has slowly developed.

Thanks for the comments guys!

@kbot - Yeah I wanted this vehicle to feel like a real solid design, which is why for this I haven’t gone too crazy with the overall form and added loads of unneccessary details that might make something feel more futuristic. I wanted it to have a very human or humanoid feel to it.

Thanks for looking.

Ausum cars and nice renders. Did u use yafray?