Galerie Vivienne

Hi everyone!

Let me share with you my last blender project. This is a place I absolutely love in Paris called Galerie Vivienne. I really wanted to capture the unique feeling of this passage. I’m pretty happy with the result thanks to the Nishita sky node that is completely carrying the lighting of the render.
Some extra renders are available on my artstation.

Some textures and assets are coming from Quixel, other assets are from Chocofur (teapot, mugs…) and I also modeled, sculpted, and shaded some of them. The trees are made using the grove 3d and I used the Ivy generator from Thomas Luft for the ivies.

For the detail around the ‘25’ number, I went to the real place and photoscanned the detail.

The floor was made completely procedurally. This has been probably the most time-consuming part of this project (I think I spent ~150 hours on it).

(This is the raw version of the floor shader, the bump and saturation on the final one are much lower)

If you’re interested in the nodes of this shader, you can get them here (I hope the link is still working, please tell me if not).

Have a good day everyone!

86 Likes

Oh my gosh. It must have taken so long to just organize all the nodes, let alone make it so that they make such an amazing texture.
I love the scene.

7 Likes

Lovely image. Insane node setup!

2 Likes

Yeah it was very long. Especially because the shader editor was lagging by itself (I mean it was blender, not my computer).
Thank you very much!

@Mark06GT Thanks!

You should turn an image of that node graph into an NFT. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Beautiful renders! I think you definetly captured the feeling.

1 Like

This is brilliant, I love the node tree and the renders are just amazing!
Edit:
I downloaded the file to have a close look at the nodes and freaked out, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
I am going for a cup of tea!

1 Like

Such node spaghetti are illegal :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

Good luck with the nodes though, here are some things to know about them:

You can’t preview the whole material using the node tree because it hit the cycles’ limit of complexity but you should be able to look at each channel one by one. I computed the shader into image textures to use them into the main project file.

The upper left part is the coordinates generation for each ring (The upper is for the smaller side rings, the middle is for the large center rings and the bottom part is for the lines on the side).
The upper region is generating the voronoi patterns, masking them, split the color channels etc…
The middle is where the coordinates are combined together using some max, min, greater, less than relations to get the interlaced effect. The outputs of this region are computed coordinates and some masking information. On top of this region is the central star generation
Finally the right side is combining all the data to colorize, generate tiles, random variations, all that stuff…

I think this little guide tour should help you visiting the nodes :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thanks for the guided tour! Yes I noticed cycles did not like it when I plugged the nodes in (rendered black) and thought maybe you had hit a limit. It did show up in eevee though, I had to wait a while for it to compute and blender does lag when displaying it.

The whole tree looks like a microchip! The layout is nice and neat.

Congratulations the result is superb.

1 Like

Beautiful work.

Thank you for the node setup. I love the idea to label reroute knots.

1 Like

This is great work! The floor is insane. Well done!

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you very much Bart!

1 Like

Oh my…your nodes are looking like a layout for a new CPU.Great work.

1 Like

How did you bake those into images exactly? I suppose you had to do that one channel at a time, but I have no idea how texture baking even works with Cycles. Is there a particular tutorial your recommend?

1 Like

When I say baking, it’s kind of a lie actually. What I do is rendering each channel with a well placed orthographic camera and then save the images using the right color space. It’s a bit tedious to do but the standard baking way isn’t straightforward too. Baking works great for precomputing lights, AO or curvature but it’s not that good for procedural material creation.
I hope one day to see a better output system in the node editor. Something simple but effective like a new output node with a dropdown menu with the type of map to export. If an addon dev sees this message… :pray:

So I can’t recommend you any tutorial since I didn’t do things properly :upside_down_face: , sorry for that

Thanks @pixelgrip :slight_smile:

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you so much Bart!

1 Like

I guess the biggest problem is the right lighting,to get the correct albedo,roughness etc.Maybe the best would be to render each map with only a emission shader at strength 1 (to output the values directly inside 0-1)
And render with or without sRGB displaytransform,or use gamma between the nodes.without Filmic to avoid color transform above 80% intensity.

1 Like