USS Bonhomme Richard (1765)

US Frigate that was commanded by Cpt. John Paul Jones and won the first naval battle for US, but interestingly sunk in the battle and left the battle on the another ship.

It was originally french Indiaman Duc De Duras that was sold/gifted to United States when the support for US was at its peak and then reworked into warship.

I will try to put latest photo to update the thread. :smiley:

16 Likes

nice work

did you use any references photos for this or just made up ?

keep up the good work

I might do one too just for fun if I can find the time
would like to do a medium res Spanish galllion

happy cl

Thanks,
well I googled a lots of cannons and went alongside that, and was doing my research and everything that is on that cannon I’ve seen somewhere, but in the end I would not call it a LH (living history) reenactment quality cannon, yet an history inspired one, as the proportions are kinda accurate, but not on centimeters :slight_smile:
Files that I used were lost as I made a transition into 2.8 and upgraded components in my computer.

In the event I was working with sailship models in reality, tho it took me a year to build one and that were times when I was on high school when I had time :smiley:

I’m always glad to see new sailship models, so will happily look at your work when you start it.
C’ya.

thanks for comments

I started a new thread for boat
did a sextant

working on some Gallion
but difficult to find nice blueprints for these
and which one to do English - Spanish or others?

all kind of size and accessories

did a Generic canon too
but again here looks like they were like 11 feet long
not certain this was use on a Gallion - who knows
will show it later today or tomorrow

i’'m not aiming for photorealism here
just medium res clean and nice looking like the real thing in 3D

thanks
happy bl

As of now, I will try to update the cover picture with first post and then post certain objects. This is the anchor I did today.

1 Like

As because of the cover photo I have to put the cannon photos in here again.

1 Like

you are going high res which is fine and very nice
but takes a lot of time for finding good references and not always easy

one note
the rope are not that good I think
could be better with some twisted fibers may be UV map!

will follow where it goes

happy bl

So as I’m at home I made a few updates to the model and will continue with it. As far, I made a short showoff video about it and mark these two objects cannon and anchor as complete. I will do this (hopefully) with every single object I do for the galleon project.
Video at YouTube

1 Like

I’ve planned to start with the hull of the ship, but I made quite a few repairs to the cannon, anchor and made cannon balls. Changed the HDRI environment map and here are few screenshots. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Okay, now I can say that I’ve touched everything that I think needed to be redone and now I can move to another object of Galleon. Cheers.

1 Like

Today I gave myself a task to create a ship’s helm.

1 Like

From an unknown reason, this wooden boat took me quite a few hours to get… at least satisfactory… ok with my expectations. It’s going to be a part of a greater project. I’ve decided it will be USS Bonhomme Richard (1765) originally a Duc de Duras, french ship given to USA, where Cpt. John Paul Jones secured first naval victory of USA, but lost it’s ship in the process.

1 Like

last images ?

planks on side looks all deformed

did you follow a real model or made up ?

i’m still trying to find out more info on Spanish Galleon planking
and very difficult to find good references for Spanish ships
I did find some info on English galleons but not made the same way then Spanish

happy bl

Hi Ricky,
Yes, I was trying to make it in a day, but that did not seem to work so well. So I’ve used a bevel and different textures for that wooden boat. And also worked on the UV as well.

Well, I had a bit problem finding a blueprint, so I only found a picture of boat on a wooden model of sailship and made it from scratch. Yeah, the references are difficult to find, that’s why Iam not aiming towards historical accuracy even tho I studied a few arcticles like on that when I was doing real life models myself (in slovak/czech language)

2 Likes

did you build real ships or just models of ships ?

with color in looks better but still see some harsh deformation

can you add a character just to give an idea on the size !

happy bl

I did build real life historic models of ships.
I tried to correct any deformations I found, thanks for the review, so I could feel better about it. Because Iam too lazy to build a human object, I put there just “glass” like object with dimensions height: 175cm and the other two dimensions being 40cm. Hope it helps :slight_smile:

Today I did two bells. None of them being a real heavy one as you’d see in church tower :smiley:

4 Likes

Just a quick update. I did a lamp. And I also did a video where I show the ship’s wheel in a more detailed fashion. I also did rope update for it.

A little bit of critique on the wood texture of your wheel…

The wood is either too dark or there isn’t enough specular. It looks more like an illustration drawing than a photograph.

Other than that, everything is top notch!

1 Like

same idea I guess for the wood on the bell part
texture should be more vertical then horizontal

happy bl

I’ve implemented that change of wood rotation. Yes, it looks better.Thanks. Don’t particularly know how to make the wood more realistic tho. I’ve tried for hours and experimented with nodes and I already use texture, normal map and roughness map combined with Principled BSDF…

Today, I worked at the hull of the ship. It’s a basic shape for now. Yes, it has some flaws, but it’s the best I could do. A lot of redo was done and I already feel tired.

2 Likes