Galleon ship

Hello!
Recently I made model of the galleon ship for my personal project- I have plan to make pirate graphic novel in realistic, cinematic style :slight_smile:
The hardest thing to solve for me was ropes, I believe I spend around 2 days studying how it works in real ships (and they are still not accurate).
Whole stuff was made in Blender (modeling, texturing and rendering) and took aroud 7 days, 6h per day (including research)
Hope you like it! :slight_smile:

103 Likes

This is actually super cool!
Sure looks realistic…the lighting work is done just perfectly. Love the presentation

1 Like

Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Most impressive work. About the only thing which gives it away as CG might be the windows in the quarter gallery.
Will be interesting to see what else you come up with (in the context of that graphic novel).

greetings, Kologe

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll be honest here- windows are just basic plane with 100% metalic setting :slight_smile: Later, I will do some touches to make it more realistic :smiley:

Fantastic work! The time spent studying the rope layout really paid off.

2 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazing ! Work

1 Like

Thank you so much!

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Ohhhh thank you very much Bart! Awesome start of the weekend :smiley:

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

yeah, that is amazing. great job.

1 Like

Impressive model! I’m not sure I’ve never heard of a realistic 3D rendered graphic novel before. Sounds like an ambitious project. All the best!

1 Like

42 hours work, that’s insane! It would take me ten times longer (and still not look this good). Awesome job.

1 Like

it is looking nice

how did you do the side planks
front and back ?

did you find very good reference sites ?

thanks
happy bl

1 Like

Yes, i am also curious about side planks.

1 Like

Thank you all! Glad to hear that you like it! :slight_smile:
@Bullit @RickyWinterborn I’m not sure if I understand correctly but there was nothing special about those planks :smiley:
I made base shape of the ship:

Later I seperate some good looking surfaces:

Bevel few edges and delete new, tiny polygon:

After that I add solidify modifier:

In other parts of the ship, problematic ones I just made planks one by one (simple plane->extrude with snapping->solidify) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

which references drawings did you use ?

thanks
happy bl

That’s funny because I was using some galleon photos but main source was… instructions like this one :smiley: :slight_smile:

Some other drawings like this:

Also blueprints like this one:

1 Like