Game Designers: Want to be interviewed for a magazine article?

Hi, blenderheads! I’m writing an article for the Design Indaba Magazine. The topic for the upcoming issue is: Open Source and Lo Fi. I’m writing an article specifically about games, and hoped you all might have a few minutes to answer a few of the questions below (no need to answer all of them, just the ones you find really interesting/fun/personally meaningful). Feel free to reply here, or DM me, or write me in person at mike [insert the at here] onearmedman [dot!] com

First off, some practical stuff: If you’ve developed a game using Blender or the BGE, do you have a presskit (logos, images, screenshots, press releases, etc.) for your game? We LOVE a good visual: the higher resolution, the better.

About Open Source…

How important is free/open-source software for the kind of design work you do? How important is CREATING open-source code for your games and other design work?

What is you relationship to the “open-source community” for the kind of work you do? Is this a strong community? How much do you participate in it as a contributor? as a critic? as a mentor?

What do you think are the benefits of working with many other contributors in the open-source world? What are the pitfalls? What were your best and worst experiences, if any?

From a design perspective, how does a piece of work, such as a game, get started in an open community? How is it extended and distributed? What’s its life cycle, so to speak?

What are your favorite examples of open-source games? Which do you play most, find are the most fun, recommend to others?

And now about Lo-Fi…

What does “low fidelity” or lo-fi mean to you as a designer? Is it an aesthetic? A way of working? A return to craft or a new set of techniques altogether?

Would you say you use rapid prototyping techniques on your game design projects? If so, which ones? How were they used? Which have been the most successful?

If your work is mostly digital, how much of your work is done offline, on paper? Do you test parts of your game experience in non-digital ways? If you have photos or images or any of this, we’d LOVE to see it.

How important is experimentation and iteration in the work you do? Do you have a plan fully conceived, or do you “mess around” a lot to get your work into shape?

How would you describe your design process, from rough draft to final prototype?

What are your favorite examples of lo-fi games? Which do you play most, find are the most fun, recommend to others?

Anyway, thanks for any info you want to contribute. I’ve been a big fan of Blender and its community over the years, so this is the first place I thought of when the assignment came in!