Game Detail's

Hi everyone i am new to this forum but i am not that new to blender well enough of introduction lets get to the point i have started a game on blender 2.37a and i have made some models with a UVShpere and i have finished my sword model but what i want to know is that u know when u render and u want ur final render to look good u set smooth and use subsurf # 1- 6 and it makes it look like a high poly model is there any way to make low poly models look like high poly models like the subsurf dose in game play ? thanks for answering any 1 that knows and i have another question is that when u want a fast render image u dont do nothing above right and take off osa of ur render to render fast but the problem is that when ur render is done its alll … riggeded right so know in my game when my camera gose to far away from my models u c it riggeded like when u render without any support is there any way how to get the riggeded of game play ? Last question i have around hmm… abit of models in my game even animated models like bunnies but when i run the game it takes awhile to load all models and it laggs abit can blender make data file that will make it lagg less and load fast in the beggining example … { like most game they have a defferent file called data and models and sounds can blender load of file and search for certain files if it can can u please post it it will help alot } well i think thats bout it well thanks for ur time everyone who has read this forum { and any1 who still dose not know what i mean by rigged models in game play post it and i will send a link to a image showing what i mean } well i goto go for now cya around everyone .

First of all, learn a bit of grammar! Your post is nearly unreadable.
Now to answer your questions: High poly models can’t be used in games, the engine cannot render too many polygons in real time. To make the models seem more detailed than they really are, use textures - but that is a hard subject for someone who is new to blender.
Also, I have know idea what ‘riggeded’ means… if you mean it is pixellated, OSA means antialiasing, this makes the pixellated edges seem smooth. As the game renders in real time, it cannot really easily do anti-aliasing… but I am, admittedly, new to the Blender Game Engine, so if there is a way to anit-alias game images I would be pleased to know.
With games, generally the user is concentrating on the action and does not notice aliasing - at least I don’t.
To answer your final question, load times are something you need to put up with. However, make sure your models are very low poly, this will help lag and load times.

I hope these answered your questions, please tell us what ‘riggeded’ means.

This should be in the game engine forum.

But since you are a newb, I’ll not hang you on the highest gallows.

Basically, if you want to make low poly objects look more detailed, you will first have to learn:

1. UV mapping, the below link is an excellent video tutorial created by Greybeard:

http://www.ibiblio.org/bvidtute/mytut/uvtut.avi

1. Once you have that nailed down, the next step would be probably radiosity baking, I found an excellent tutorial here:

http://www.lowpolycoop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21

and a better script here:

I really do not know much about the Blender game engine, but these two tutorials can introduce you to the world of high-poly to lowpoly tricks.

Dont expect to make Doom3 in Blender, Blender does a amazingly good job of being a 3D modeler but its game engine is not up to par with current game engines.

This is where CrystalBlend comes in. CrystalBlend, IMO will be the future of the Game Engine.

You can make models in Bender for the Doom 3 engine.

Look:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27308&highlight=

I agree You cannot use the Blender game engine for much, however, because Blender has a game engine, it is very game model friendly I have found.

I am using the OGRE engine.

To form an analogy, I found CrystalSpace to be like OpenFX, powerful, but for some reason, the community is weak, whereas OGRE is like Blender, also powerful, but backed up by a vibrant community.

This is where CrystalBlend comes in. CrystalBlend, IMO will be the future of the Game Engine.[/quote]

Yeh well, they’ve sort of said so already :wink:
Gotta love being a smartass :smiley:

Man, if one would only have started programming at the age of 4 or such, then I’d have been able to support all these amazing projects. I blame society! >_>

EDIT:
Oooooo, OGRE seems promising, gotta try that out tomorrow. See if I might get the hang of that one one day.

Crystal Space stalled me the first time i even tried to compile me and OGRE is only a renderer, that’s when i started my own project.

so CrystalBlend is nothing but having Crystal Space and some bindings to blender? now that’s not much in my opinion but better than the current engine for sure.

you cna use normal mapping, it makes low poly models seem like higher poly ones through shading.

What more do you want from a game engine, than a graphics renderer? OGRE takes care of a whole slew of nasty stuff, leaving the coders free to do game dynamic work. OGRE is only a renderer, true, but it also has other modules that can be used, like CEGUI for the User interface.

I don’t know, with an open source rendering engine available, I don’t see why not use it. The only drawback, is if you modify the rendering code, you have to leave your games rendering engine open source, but the rest of the code could still be proprietary if you wished.

The reason why OGRE is only a graphics engine, is so any kind of game, or other graphical application, for that matter, can be used for it.

Yeh heck, I’m not sure if I even WANT more than a graphics engine. I mean, coding’s fun in its own too.

depends on your needs. if you want to get something solid, quickly to build and tested an engine covering all aspects from rendering over resource handling over os-layer up to scripting support is better covered with a real game-engine, hence the name. OGRE is only rendering, which is nice if you only need that, but i want/need more than OGRE can offer me.

I don’t know, with an open source rendering engine available, I don’t see why not use it. The only drawback, is if you modify the rendering code, you have to leave your games rendering engine open source, but the rest of the code could still be proprietary if you wished.

if you want to you can make an OGRE Graphic Module and plug it into my Drag[en]gine. that’s what a real game-engine is, independant. what renders is not important. can be anything, including OGRE if you want to.

The reason why OGRE is only a graphics engine, is so any kind of game, or other graphical application, for that matter, can be used for it.

sure, that i never denied. i just know a lot of people who think OGRE is a game-engine hitting a wall if they notice that it does only render. OGRE is a render-engine not a game-engine which is a subtle but important difference. if you only need a render-engine and not a game-engine then OGRE is the way to go.

I just don’t undertand why you would want to reinvent the wheel on this one. With OGRE, some very talented people have already written a major portion of your game for you, and documented it, and tested it. I realize rendering is not everything, but I really wonder how long it is going to take you to code a render engine yourself that has the level of speed and efficiency that OGRE offers in it’s rendering engine.

I mean Blender, for all intents and purposes, is only a modelling program, but you certainly do not intend to write your own.

if you only need a render-engine and not a game-engine then OGRE is the way to go.

This just doesn’t make sense to me… any game is going to need a render engine. No game needs just a render engine. Many games have already been made with OGRE, many different styles… Have you seen Ankh?

or the ninth life, written in a mere 13 weeks?

And there are other plug-ins if you want, or if something in the render engine does not meet your needs… it’s open source, so you can modify it!

you said it, OGRE is not everything. a game consists of much more than rendering. in fact rendering is at most 10% of what a game needs besides sound systems, networking systems, scripting system, resource loading systems, and and and. that’s the point. and i do not reinvent the wheel except on the rendering part (which is besides something interesting to write, hence the persistance on this one). what i do is something different than engines do up to now: i provide a true game-engine-system, not just one implementation. like said you can use OGRE as your renderer in my engine… or better… the user can, not the developer :wink:

This just doesn’t make sense to me… any game is going to need a render engine. No game needs just a render engine.

i never said that, never. i said if you have an application needing only a renderer (which does not have to be a full fledged game) then only a rendering engine can be enough.

:-?