Game Engine Capabilities

Do you guys think it’s possible to use Blender’s game engine to create a complete role-playing game to rival Final Fantasy or possibly one of the more adventure-based Zelda games? Not that I’m gonna tackle one yet… but it’d be nice to know what the possibilities are. :]

There has been RPG’s done in the GE before so it is possible. Rivaling Final Fantasy? It would take an incredible amount of work and you’d need to wait for the OGRE intergration if you want to rival the graphics. But a Zelda like RPG is possible with a bit of python (to avoid hundreds of logic bricks)

Yeah, a real game takes hundreds of scripts and programs. Think about all the stuff in a final fantasy game. More your capabilities than blender. Final Fantasy-like would be much easier than say… Rise of Nations-like.

I say that blenders game engine capabilities are almost endless if you have an extremely good computor…and have a decent knowledge of scripting etc…

It’s not a question of wether or not the engine is capable.
The real question is… Are you capable???

Cyborg is right about Ogre being needed to get higher quality graphics. However, I think the BGE is excellent for RPG’s like Final Fantasy and I personally am banking on it being able to do Zelda like game play. There are a few bugs to be aware of though, for instance the memory leak problem when switching scenes. That is something you would have to work around until it is fully resolved. You would absolutely have to code to do anything of quality. There is no other way to pass information between scenes, or save data. Even if this ends up not being the engine you choose a solid understanding of blender’s capabilities will help regardless.

Thanks a lot, you guys… now that I’ve got the basics of Blender down fairly well I’m contemplating on where to head next, and gaming seems to be sending strong signals. I’m curious to know where all of you people in the forums, who use the game engine frequently, went when you were all at my stage. Anyone who reads this and meets the above criteria, please tell me and those who are reading… it’ll help, I’m sure.

you should check out the simple maze game tutorial it gets you started i’ll post the link…

here you go it’s cheezey but it workshttp://users.bigpond.net.au/blendage/pages/tutorials.html

Not to mention games like that take a large team of people working on every weekday years to complete. You could try it but it could mean a lot of hard work over a very long period of time.

and your computer may suck too much so it can’t handle all the scripts and stuff lol…well itd be really laggy when u tryed to play with blender…shut up i kknow nothing lol

I think i remember reading somewhere that after the BGE hits 40,000 polygons the framerate drops dramatically. So you definately want to watch the polygon count. This is the biggest limitation for me because detailed environments are difficult to pull off without clever texturing and low-poly modeling.

ya i know…but when you make a .exe it’s not that laggy anymore right?..i can’t make .exes im running open bsd…

I’ve seen that maze tutorial. It’s pretty cool… but I already know how to make basic games like that. Thanks, chirpsalot, cuz I still appreciate it. Perhaps getting a team together to make a game would be the best thing to do…

Hi killned3,

As for your original question, Yea!!! 2d games like Zelda and original Final fantasy
would be easy to make…

you could do a pretty detailed cartoon, top down scroll-er …

Chop up your levels into different scenes, about the same size as the old final fantasy, and Zelda games… (after you learn a bit more)

as soon as I learn more about scripting, i would like to make a couple of scenario’s like the old Fallout, 2d isometric games. (I would use 3d models, and scenery)

I also woulden’t mind some puzzle shooters, where the camera and the scene are stationary… the First resident evil games where like this…
I would like to mix elements of the first “Prince of Persia” , “Flashback”, and toss in some “Leisure suit Larry” humor, and odd/funny missions.
While at the same time being a gore fest… blasting aliens and Zombies!!

Blender is very well suited for this kind of stuff…

for now if I was you I would focus on a quick top down mission… make a quick little quest with just cubes and spheres…

have a few dialogs… find the key… open the door… Game over…

Next day try something more complicated…

obtain the key, find the gem, give gem to sphere, sphere unlocks door…

Dont spend much time on the looks for now, just make small missions to amuse yourself…focus on the logic for right now…

you will learn LOTS trying to solve little problems

you will know when you are ready, for a full game :slight_smile:

I would not waste my time trying to form a team yet… for The Legend of Zelda, or final fantasy Sized games you can easily accomplish alone.

later when you have a playable demo, try forming a team… it will be a lot easyer if you have a working game to show…

Lol I’ll join the team!..I need much more skills though lol

As for making a game to rival those, at this level, here’s a little perspective. Morrowwind, a game released about 3 and a half years ago, took 100 man years (meaning it would take one man 100 years) to make the visuals only. That included none of the scripting or physics work required. I’d shoot low first.

The BGE has a surprising number of bugs, and shortcomings.

The physics engine seems to be a development priority, so everything else just takes a back seat. (In case someone has been out of the loop, every time a new feature is added to the BGE, something else breaks, and there is usually a new bug crawling around. It seems to be an impossible issue for the developers to resolve. Although they don’t say why exactly…)

There is no backward compatibility, so if you ever plan on using one of the newer versions of the BGE to work on your old .blend and add a few new features, expect to do a rewrite of your game in one form or another, because chances are it won’t work right when made under the new blender version.

These issues will only become obvious when the user tries to implement the current capabilities of the game engine to make something a little more complex than your average demo. (which would be the “games” you people are talking about here)

Right now the BGE is very good for things like physics simulations, small basic games, demos and other things of that nature. Hopefully it will all change for the better at some point in time, but right now I don’t feel like the BGE is ready to be used for “serious” game development.

Well, lately I have been experimenting with small little games… like Stairball, where you get to take a ball up stairs and around these little obstacles to get into an opening. It’s hardcore.

100 man years is a bit too much for me… perhaps I’ll stick with someone a bit more… non-professional. Until I have a good team. And money. lol

I’m sure by the time I’m really good with game programming, Blender’s engine will have improved beyond what you’re saying, Social… or at least I hope. There are alternatives to using Blender’s game engine, anyway, and I’m thinking into that OGRE idea…

If anyone wants to form a game team, then by all means working together would be fun but nothing too serious to begin with. My experience is limited. It would be great to find people who perform various tasks… say, to have a modeler and/or an animator, a texturizer and mapper, or two separate people with one of each job, a programmer, a sound/music or one of each composer, and a person who just makes sure everything goes according to plan, but something that organized will probably have to wait a bit.

If you want to compete with “real” games I would advice you to go cell shade, because blender can not make as nice graphic as “real” games. (Yet)