Game Engine: Project Query

Hello,

I’m working on a game prototype, which is a 1st person adventure game in the old style i.e. pre-rendered views. I need to have a system where the main view can be turned through 90 degrees using the arrow keys to turn the player left and right. Each navigation position has four views; front, left, right and back. When walking forward, a walking animation would play showing progress through the world before stopping at the next navigation point.

In some situations, when at a navigation point, movies would play as there are animated objects in view.

Is this at all possible to do with the BGE? I’ve been using Blender for a number of years, but have never delved into the game engine. I am also not familiar with Python.

I would appreciate any advice that anyone could give.

Best regards,

Andy Curry

I don’t think there’s anything in your description that would make the game impossible in blender.

It’s almost certain that you’ll need to learn Python to some extent, no matter what the game, so be sure to do that first.

Hi Goran,

Many thanks for your reply. I’ve had a good look for BGE tutorials, and they are all focused on objects, sensors and logic for objects that you interact with in the engine. However, I want to show an image in front of the camera, and based on a key press load another image or play a movie.

Could you recommend any tutorials that would get me started, either with what I’m looking to do, or where to look in terms of scripting?

Best regards,

Andy Curry

Could you recommend any tutorials that would get me started, either with what I’m looking to do, or where to look in terms of scripting?

I do a new video tutorial every week or so, and I also have two video tutorial series that go through a basic logic brick only game, and also a game that uses python.

Look in my signature for relevant links.

I also have a series of tutorials on using Python in the BGE on my game dev. site at Game Up!, if you’re interested.