Game Engine

Hello,

Excuse me for the question but i wanna know what excately can i do with Game or Game Engine.

Thanks

Hello

At least you’re original
Usually people ask, “is it possible to do a game like Doom3 with Blender?”

Well with the game engine you can do…games??
And other things, like multimedia presentations or architectural walktroughs, little interactive
stories and even screensavers I guess

Download the many files available and judge for yourself
Welcome aboard
Bye

You can do almost whatever you want with the game engine, but it won’t be easy. Overall it’s easier to make 3D games than 2D ones wite the game engine, as Blender is a 3D program. But within the realm of 3D you can with a little knowledge make whatever you want. Look at the demos at blender3d.org. People have made action games, adventure, FPS, role-playing, arcade games, screensavers, architectural walkthroughs, computer toys, simulations, virtual product mock-ups… the possibilities are virtually endless. Go ahead, take it for a spin. Most likely whatever you want to make is possible. So push right ahead and try it out. We’re here to help when you run into trouble.

well, I don’t know exactly what you can do with the game engine, but I and many others can make games… I’m sure if you can model good and have a little logical thinking you could make games too…

this message will self-destruct after awhile
:smiley:

i know some things you can’t do withe the engine in it’s current state:

-lightmaps
-multitexturing
-bumpmapping
-normalmapping
-realtime shadows

i think that some of theses issues are worked out right now in tuhopuu
the most annoying missing feature is undoubtly the lack of lightmaps cause it’s quite difficult (nearly impossible) to make good graphics without them :frowning: if u can live without it, blender engine offer plenty of possibilities…

What’s “normalmapping”?

basically u use a “normalmap” to make a lowpoly model look highpoly…
u take your lowpoly model into zbrush, add a lot of detail, compute the normalmap and apply it to your lowpoly model and voilà.
ever played D3? the creatures are using normalmap.

well i’m not awaiting this kind of features in blender but i’m really looking forward to lightmaps…hop it will come soon

Normalmapping is the same thing as bumpmapping. And as for lightmaps, what are those?

just another texture, used instead of vertex colors for lighting [so the mesh doesn’t need to be subdivided to have relatively detailed static shadows]

Normalmapping isn’t the same as bumpmapping. And parallax mapping is even cooler :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Yeah lightmapping would be a real good feature. Except, when we get pixel perfect lights, from tupohuu then on good computers we don’t really need lightmaps. It’ll be just like doom3 all realtime.

But we should definately get the lightmaps. And multitexture. Mmmmm.

Normal Mapping:

In 3D computer graphics, normal mapping is an application of the technique known as bump mapping. While bump mapping perturbs the existing normal (the way the surface is facing) of a model, normal mapping replaces the normal entirely. Like bump mapping, it is used to add details to shading without using more polygons. But where a bump map is usually calculated based on a single-channel (interpreted as grayscale) image, the source for the normals in normal mapping is usually a multichannel image (that is, channels for “red”, “green” and “blue” as opposed to just a single color) derived from a set of more detailed versions of the objects. Whereas a bump map changes normal vectors’ magnitudes, a normal map changes normal vectors’ magnitudes and directions.

Normal mapping was originally created for use almost exclusively in non-interactive 3D rendering. However, with the increasing processing power and sophistication of home PCs and gaming consoles, normal mapping has spread to the public consciousness through its use in several high-profile games, including: Deus Ex 2: Invisible War (Eidos Interactive), Thief 3: Deadly Shadows (Eidos Interactive), The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (Vivendi Universal), Halo 2 (Microsoft), and (perhaps most well-known) Doom III (id Software).

Bump Mapping:

In computer graphics, bump mapping is a technique where at each pixel, a perturbation to the surface normal of the object being rendered is looked up in a texture map and applied before the illumination calculation is done (see, for instance, Phong shading.) The result is a richer, more detailed surface representation that more closely resembles the details inherent in the natural world.

Originally bump mapping was used in rendering programs. Later it came to be incorporated into games, most notable Doom 3.

The evolution of rendering polygonal faces in realtime:

First we had flat polygons, each polygon was simply a flat color.
Then we had shading, such as goraud, where lights could play some part in it.
Then came texture mapping, where you could get a lot more detail by spreading pixels across the polygonal plane.
Then there were different texturing effects along with lightmaps to save texture memory and have more realistic lighting.
Bump maps entered the picutre about 3 or 4 years ago (in mainstream games) with emboss bump mapping. It is not a very convincing effect, and still looks flat as there is only one dimension of information per pixel: the z value. It uses a greyscale image to show the height of the texture.
Normal mapping is much better than bumpmapping, as it has the complete normal for each pint of the texture. It does this by using a color image, so red is x, green is y, and blue is the z value, showing the direction AND height of each pixel. Still, if you look at the plane at an angle the illusion breaks down.
Paralax mapping is a very good looking effect. I don’t think it was used in doom3 but aparently there is a mod that lets you use it. It can look a little weird on some textures, but in general it makes the virtual bumps actually look like real 3d bumps from nearly any angle. This shows the difference:
http://doom3.filefront.com/screenshots/18/files2/29475_1.jpg

Am I correct in assuming this is all done with the “Map To” panel setting in the material buttons just as if you were texturing a non game object. AND that you would click on the “UV” button in the “Map Input” Panel?

None of this can be done in blender at this time shaba, unfortunately. With a lot of complex coding it could all be done in tuhopuu2 with shaders.