Game Equivalent to E.D./Peach?

OK, so Elephants Dream was awesome. Peach will certainly be even more awesome.
When is there going to be a commercial quality open source game made in Blender? I think there’s a lot of potential for something like that, but for some reason it hasn’t happened yet. I don’t know all the specs of the game engine or what it can or can’t do, but I’d say we have a good pool of resources at our disposal if there is enough community interest, expertise, and commitment. I’d certainly be happy to contribute.

What do you all think?

I think you should read Blendernation a bit more :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.blender.org/blenderorg/blender-foundation/apricot-open-game/

Sweetness! I wonder why they’re not using the Blender game engine? Anyway, I look forward to that release.

And yes, you’re right - I should read BlenderNation more :wink:

I wonder why they’re not using the Blender game engine?

Ton explains this here:

http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12400

It’s because the BGE is just not capable and it will take a hell of a lot of work to get it up to speed and I think they probably don’t have enough time…

No blender game engine, but crystalspace!

The crystalspace engine is just much better than the one in blender, and the people that work on it are quite nice, and good. So the team will be a mix of blender people and crystalspace people.

But the blender GE will probably be used to test things out before they’re ported to crystalspace, so I expect some improvements to it will be made during the production.

If you were developing for any commercially released game, you would not be using the Blender Game engine.

Also, the point of these projects is to push the envelope, and one of Blender’s shortfalls is game engine plug-ins. If we used the internal engine, that would not push any development in this department.

no no… peach can try as hard as it likes, but it will always be the second best.

and ofcourse, the best game in blender is this: http://www.flashmobile.de/apps/twinxed/

.b

no no… peach can try as hard as it likes, but it will always be the second best.

why do you think so?

If you were developing for any commercially released game, you would not be using the Blender Game engine.

and why is that? All commercial means is that you make money with it.

If you programmed a Tic-Tac-Toe game in BASIC, and sold it to your little sister for 5$ it would be a commercial game.

Thanks to all the advertising we are bombarded with every day on the internet, radio, and television, some people think “Professional”, and “Commercial” are some sort of gauge for quality.

It is very possible to make a commercial, professional game with Blender game engine, all someone needs to do is sell one.

Look at Pop-cap games… they sell lots of games , and they use a game engine that is total crap. Yet they still sell thousands of games over Steam, and retail stores.

It gets really depressing in the game forums, when people who have never developed a game in their entire life comes off like some expert and calling the BGE crap.It gets really old after a while.
Blender has an awesome game engine, the only one in existence where you can truly make a game without any programming knowledge.

people should start looking at the game engine for what it is, and stop looking at it for what it is not.

Right now p00f is making a Commercial Soduku game that he plans on selling with the blender game engine.

BTW i am a big Crystal Space fan too :smiley: