Game .exe difficulties

Hey everyone. This is my first post here on the forums. I have a question that’s been bothering me for some time.

In Blender 2.49.2, I created a simple “test game”, where I had a rotating cube (via basic game logic) with 1 image texture and 1 normal map. Additionally, there was a plane with 1 image texture. I also had the cube set to Dynamic.

I compressed the .blend file, created a folder which included the .blend file and all the textures I used, and saved the runtime into that folder. I copied all the missing DLLs and the game ran fine on my computer, which runs Windows XP.

To test the .exe, I went to a separate computer (Windows Vista, Blender 2.49.2 not installed), opened the folder via flashdrive, accessed the .exe, and found a problem - the .exe runs, but none of the image textures or normal maps show in the game.

:RocknRoll:

Does anyone know what the problem could be and how I can fix it? If this problem was already posted on the forum, I apologize for the re-post, but I couldn’t find it anywhere on the forums.

Thanks!

I think you just didn’t packed the textures.
When you run it on your own computer. blender recognises the folders which you loaded the picktures from. But on other computers that’s not the case. So you need to pack the textures into the .blend.
At the uv/image editor, there is a little gift box that sais: pack/unpack texture.
Select that icon with every texture and save again.

Then it should work.

Good luck. ^^

I did the process again, and packed the textures, but I encounter a different problem. Image textures show, but shaders and lights aren’t visible. It is almost as if it is rendering the game in a Texture Face material rendering instead of a GLSL material rendering. I made the game and saved the runtime with the GLSL materials selected from the “Game” drop-down.

Additionally, when running the .exe, I go to the console and it says something along the lines of “shaders not supported!”

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

I think you’ll have to wait for someone else. :wink:
You should check if your other computer can run the .blend file with glsl. My computer also can’t handle it because I have a very weak graphical card.

Otherwise I can’t help you sry.

You’re right, gamemaster. It must have just been the card. I tried the game on a separate computer with a compitent graphics card and it worked fine.

Thanks for the help!

Oke cool. np :wink:

I wouldn’t recommend packing the textures on a larger project. It’s much easier to manage textures if they are separate from the .blend file. Instead, make sure your paths are all relative instead of absolute. Blender has an annoying habit of preferring absolute paths…

File -> External Data -> Make Paths Relative should do the trick I think.

Also, in User Preferences -> File Paths select “Relative Paths Default.”