Game Maker + Blender = Awesome

Well i was thinking the other day, “Wouldn’t it be cool if Blender was merged with Game Maker?”

For those of you who don’t know what Game Maker is, it’s a really great program for developing games. You can make very advanced and complicated games using either drag and drop or code interface. The only problem is that it’s not very good at making 3D games. This is where I thought blender would be cool.

In Game Maker, there is room view. In room view you position all the objects and tiles (backgronds), and that is the game environment. There can be multiple rooms. Instead of room editing to be only in 2D view, it could be 3D, like the blender 3d view…

In Game Maker, you add a bunch of sprites which are just image files. Blender + Game Maker would have 3D objects instead of sprites, maybe .obj or something…

The actual coding system for making games would be the Game Maker version, since it would not be to difficult to tweak it to work in 3D. It used x and y movement, how hard could it be to add a z variable?

OK, well i know some of you are going to say: “Blender already has a good game engine and its getting better!”. I understand, but this would still be cool because there would be a lot of cool games being made because Game Maker has a very big online community.

Well yeah, that’s my idea.

The licsense wouldn’t be compatible, Game Maker is commercial software, Blender is GPL.

I’ve used GameMaker a lot years ago, the community is…oh…should I say full of pre-teens.

Yeah a lot of years ago. Not so much now

I hadn’t even been to the community in years, like I try to distance myself from it.

I was known as ‘Adam’ there, and I still have the 20+ games I made in GameMaker.

The actual coding system for making games would be the Game Maker version, since it would not be to difficult to tweak it to work in 3D. It used x and y movement, how hard could it be to add a z variable?

It will take a lot more work then that, 3D is a massive step up from 2D.

Blender already has a good game engine and its getting better!

=D

Gamemaker is great for prototyping, and I have seen some great professional level games made with it – I just wish the software itself would mature a bit. The interface feels like your stuck in Windows 95, and it’s been well over a year with a supposed OSX version in the works, but little to almost no news regarding it.

The BGE is pretty similar in regards to how objects interact with each other. Give it a try, as I think it’s a better fit for 3d games than Gamemaker will ever be.

what about quake3 engine?