Game Startup Flamers

I wouldn’t care what he did before, really, but he started rampaging in In this thread, acting rampantly paranoid and arrogant. The fact that he’s covered it by editing everything and replacing it with ‘…’ means nothing. If he posts in another thread with a reasonably sane manner(the operative word being sane), it’s highly likely that I will treat him as a sane person. Right now, though, he’s kicking his feet on the floor and holding his breath in an assumptive temper tantrum, threatening to guilt trip everyone by trying to hold them responsible for what he feels will be the destruction of his game (should he actually destroy the game). Besides being horribly immature, it is wrong.

Nah, I’m not a teacher, and I don’t get paid to hold back my opinions.

The forums are public. It’s not school. People shouldn’t be forced to tolerate this type of stupity, just because of your “tolerate everything no matter what = awsome community” illusion.

Hey, wait a sec, your a teacher right? Well then you can teach him.

1 Like

This amazing. Ive been gone a half hour and…two more pages.
Asssumptions, I think it would be best if you stop tallking. I agree with Social, anybody could make an amazing comedy routine of of your crap, but dont pretend your the victim.
I have a headache now…

Im going back to work on my own game. This thred is 2 secs from getting locked anyway.

Social, you can handle it your way, but I think we all can see where it gets you. Look at the page numbers. That is all I have to say.

Bad behavior is scorned for a reason. I’m not saying that this is a solution to the overall problem.

Although, I bet that after seeing this thread, other potential morons will think twice before going on a rampage demonstrated here.

Hey - I kind of liked the original topic and instead of starting a new thread, I thought I’d wade into the flames and ask where some of the more experienced folks did start out with the Game Engine.

I’ve posted several bits of advice and the odd mini tute here on rendering and animation, but even with several blender years behind me I don’t feel I could tackle a blender game in anything other than the privacy of my own home.

I have made two games (which were for practice, and will never see the light of day!):

1. You fly a space ship around a very low gravity cargo hold and push boxes into a corridor whereupon you shoot them with a missile that makes them float up into another room
  2. Little character walks around a simple maze, jumping up onto small alters that, when touched, make walls in the maze move, some nearby and others in another part of the maze.

This second one has some promise, but it may be a year or more before I can learn enough Python to make it all I want it to be.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else would like to share the kinds of concepts that played around with to start off with the game engine!

…And HEY!!! This is my 800th post!!!..

1. I did a crappy, untextured maze game, all logic bricks
    2)learned more of the python language and
    tried to emulate a shooter(ghost recon( like everyone else has)…
  2. now I continue to accelerate at python and only do tests

Holy Cow, I feel like I just woke up and found myself in a train wreck.

With respect to the first page and a half, thanks for the insight.

Social, I know we have had our differences of opinion but I rather enjoied reading your responses and there isn’t much I disagree with, for once.

Wanted Bob, your responses are pretty spot on. It is these types of simple tasks that more experienced users should be challenging the newbies with.

Enriqolonius has found what I would call the “Enlightened Path” although it seems he went through hell to get there. Thank for your response.

We know that many of the members at Blenderartists are young and considering this, they need to be handled a bit differently. These members have a dream to create something that really means something to them.

The way I interpret the plea for help is not as one of “Make my game for me” but “Can someone take an interest in my idea and walk along with me for a while”. It takes a rare individual to devote the time from an already busy schedule to do this. By the time I posted this response all of assumptions posts had been edited and yet I feel this is what his feeling was, although misguided in its expression.

Young people are great for their enthusiasim, energy, singlemindedness, idealisim and many other qualities. Listening to advice from wiser and more experienced people is not one of them. It’s like you have to use Kung-Fu or something and take that energy and use it against them, not to harm, but to direct it skillfully towards their goal.

regards,

honeycomb

You…agree…with…me??? That’s not normal. You are disturbing the natural order of things.

OMG!! Wait a minute…you are using this post to distract me, in order to give your ninja assassins (which you dispatched personally) enough time to assassinate me.:eek:

*runs to lock door, as if that can actually stop the ninjas.

no comments

Yeah, nothing can stop ninjas. Move to another country Social, its your best bet of escape!

As it has been said before somewhere, age has nothing to do with skill, but you are right, us young people can dream up wild creations but get stuck with them (I know I have once or twice). Also, it has been said that there is a way to ask for help. Present your idea (you cant make a game without a plan) and specify what it is you need help with.

That’s what I like about this community: We can discuss, argue, disagree, agree, assist, distract, co-operate and compete.

We are, however, never anti-social :cool:

Id say to give new users the straight truth. Not like being rude, and saying they suck, but if they have the dream to make a game, give them at least a tutorial to get started(or tell them to check out the tute sticky in this forum…)
Then when they start their game, tell them straight up about the parst that arent very good.
I got such a comment about my project:
“Your camera angle is crap…”
Harsh maybe, but Its stuff like that that lets me know what to change, and it helps me grow. When I looked, the angle was a little bad, not to strong, visually.Im smart enough to realize that there are other people who know more than me. And if I ever want to be in that position, Ive got to take the harsh crits that come.

I think that may be the best way to learn nearly anything, anyone who wastes time getting offended by comments like this:

“____ isnt very good. It would look better like this”
or
“You approach to ____ wastes a lot of your time. It would be faster/smarter/less complex to fo it like this…”

And then Ive seen replies(in all forums) that looked like this:

“I can do it that way if I want.”
or
“Your being a jerk just because Im new”

and the like. No pain no gain, right? If your new, take the crap. When your more xperienced, give the crap.

Its the circle of life…

Karma, huh?

If

1. Newbies would have realistic expectations combined with their ambition
  2. Newbies would realize that you’ll have to master the basics before you can do the cool stuff
  3. A member’s post count would be disregarded (I have 1k posts. What does that say about me? That I made 1k posts, obviously.)
  4. People would ignore rather than bash
    than things would go more smoothly IMHO.

I can understand the dreams and ambitions of the newer people. I was once like them, so I failed miserably and learned to set realistic expectations. But I can also understand the annoyance of others who are seeing this same type of thread over and over.
In the end it comes down to just tolerating each other and learning to be realistic. Ambition is good, but without realistic expectations and some sort of a plan, you ain’t gettin’ nowhere.

In short: mind the ubuntu!

EDIT
@Social: remember the person who wanted to create a MMORPG (now, where have we heard that before?) and after realizing he was being a bit too excited he replaced his initial post with “everyone below me can’t get a girl”? This guy reminds me of him.

If

1. Newbies would have realistic expectations combined with their ambition
  2. Newbies would realize that you’ll have to master the basics before you can do the cool stuff
  3. A member’s post count would be disregarded (I have 1k posts. What does that say about me? That I made 1k posts, obviously.)
  4. People would ignore rather than bash
    than things would go more smoothly IMHO.

Wow…sniff that was beautiful…and oh so true…in all fields…

What they need to do is set this forum where you cant create new posts untill you reply on X amount. That way people who start a thred will have already HAD to contribute to other threds. I know one can argue that a new person might post so many times just to get that number so they can make a post…but look, if they are willing to do that they must be serious. I think this will help this website. It will also keep people from coming for 1 week, posting a useless thred and leaving. I think 200 posts would be a good number before you are allowed to start a new thred. If you want to be part of this community than be apart of it. Dont just come for 1 day or 1 week. Mods, Make the new users contribute and learn before they are allowed to start new threds. That is my x-mas wish.

edit: Maybe keep the Test forum open for new people.

I dont know if v-bulliten can do this…Or just keep it heavly moderated and delete peoples threds who have 2 posts total!

that is cool idea…set it at, say…300, no…well yeah, thats about a month of failry steady posting…

From the guy who moderated cgtalk… not saying we should be like them but I do like this…

No Fishing
The artists who post and work on collaborative projects here are not free assets for your project. Collaborative artists are of varied skill sets and have individual motivations for joining collab projects (education, team involvement, camaraderie or portfolio development). Performing free services so that someone else can succeed is not a motivational goal for any of our artists.

If you have joined CGTalk for the sole purpose of recruiting our members to do free work for your product, then kindly consider posting your recruitment ad someplace else.

The idea behind a collaborative project is that everyone involved benefits from the experience in an equal manner. If you have nothing to offer the involved artists other than proper credit for their work, then your project is not going to generate a welcome attitude here.

New members are encouraged to contribute to the community here before posting a new thread. If you have less than 10-20 posts and you’re starting a new thread here looking for help … then you’ve really haven’t made the effort to be a part of the community, have you?

New postings here (after this effective posting date) that have an aura of “fishing” will be closed without notice. Continued violations of this rule will result in your posting privilages here revoked.

As an Example …
Being part of the CGTalk family (and more specifically the Collaboration Forum) is very much like visiting someone’s home. If it’s your first time there, you probably would not raid their refridgerator if you suddenly became hungry or thirsty. However, if it’s a really good friend’s house you’d probably get away with making yourself “at home” (as long as you’re not taking the last beer ).

This is exactly what members of this forum expect from new people here and I don’t feel that this is too much to ask.

If Your Thread Was Closed
Please don’t PM me telling me about how much of a “jerk” I’m being for closing your thread. I’ve heard it before (and worse), so insulting me is not going to be a favorable way for you to deal with me. Most likely, it will only result in further action being taken against your posting privilages here.

The above “No Fishing” rule is something that was suggested during a lengthy conversation/debate among the active members of this forum. It was agreed that a huge majority of new threads in this forum were useless fishing attempts from newly registered members and that the history of such threads showed that there was a significant lack of follow up from these individuals.

If your thread was closed, do not take it personally. I am not accusing you of fishing. However, since there is absolutely no way for me to determine if you are or are not here to fish I treat all suspect threads the same way. I’m auto closing threads if your under 20 posts and if there is no immediate response to your thread (demonstrating interest to your project). The solution to this problem is rather simple though … become a part of the community before you ask others for assistance with your project.

Yeah, it seems like I’m being a “jerk” but the posting guideline has been implemented for the same basic principle the “no school”, “no salary” or “no app comparison” threads are disallowed in the General Discussion forum.

I am generally a very receptive person to discussion or debate. So feel free to PM me to discuss your thread. However, I will not respond to individuals who take a hostile or confrontational attitide with me when debating my decisions here.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Thats amazing. We need to write that down on a sticky note, and staple it to all people who make fishing threads.
And add a few staples for extra fun.