Game states

I have looked into a few tutorials, and still am unclear of a couple of things.
Here is what I am trying to do.
Roulette spinning…
State 1 … you are able to place bets… or do just about anything.
State 2… When you spin the ball… you cant do anything… only watch the ball spin.
When the final number is produced, it sends you back to state 1

gamestate… does that state apply to the state the whole game is in? Or just that … object? If it is just the object, then do you have to go through and create state changes for every object to say… go to state 2, so they are not interactive?

State changes do belong to the individual object but you can get creative and find ways to make multiple changes thru messages and properties and probaly also python.
Now I usually ponder the idea of creating an empty and make that have master or world properties and then have it communicate with objects.
Another idea would be to create a generic object with as much generic logic as possible and then duplicate it and create the game objects you need. Dont forget you can copy and paste logic between objects.

Its always good to use game properties to dictate if a player can actually perform an action or not.
Booleans work great for this and the property actuator.

That makes sense to why what I was trying to do didnt work, lol, and that was what I figured.
I do have a “master” object I call “brain” … I use it for initializing, but might try to work it into communicating with the other objects as you said. … off to re-read the same tutorials and possibly absorb more of the same information, lol.