GameBlender texture shadows

I’m sorry cyber dragon but even with ovidu build I’m not satisfated by blender in big scale game. But when I said big scale is not something crazy I was only trying to make a tenchu like with some kind of fancy effect I mean simple shader and stuff, AI ( astasr using python and scaboosta module ), and i didnt work as I expected. I fyou try to use remi berthier shadow script and some render to texture feature it don’t work blender start running at 15 fps. teh scene was only with 40 000 polys. I tried to optimised it but but how can i do an infiltration game without ai ?

Anyway blender is good for simple game but not for other stuff, but it wasn’t the topic.

ashid you manage to do use blender materials ? nice !

C-106 Delta,

Ok, I finally fingered out how to install this but when I try to run the blend file it crashes.
“imported from text buffer…” message isn’t problem. I downloaded shadow.blend to another computer and it works fine… Maybe you can add some prints to Render.py and Render2.py scripts to see, where it really crashes…

Ashsid I was wondering, how many shadows can you use with this? How much does each shadow drain from the frame rate? Would it be possible to light map a full scene (+50,000 polys) in real time using this? Can you use more than one light?

Second video and demo uses 2 shadow layers (one layer for ground shadow and second for all balks) for 2 renders to texture. On AthlonXP 2500 with crappy graphic card it shows > 40 fps. Without them it shows 60 fps (limited by monitor refresh rate). So I think that rendering shadows for close objects (main character and other near characters) can be done in single shadow layer without huge framerate drop. For static objects I would rather to bake shadows into textures. Multiple lights are limited by texture count - gameblender allows 3 textures, so only two lights can be used to create shadows for any object.

black reaper,

you manage to do use blender materials ? nice !
No, bug in render to texture with blender materials is still there - this demo doesn’t need to use them - shadows are generated using objects without textures, only plain colors (black and white).

Without them it shows 60 fps (limited by monitor refresh rate).

new info , so that why it doesn’t get over 60 frames even with blank scene :slight_smile:

ok , i will try to make demo video of it if i was able to run it , man you are encouraging me to learn c++ and openGl . :slight_smile:

Great work!!! I think you could set the shadow color to gray, i mean rgb values to something like 0.5,0.5,0.5 and in the ground, set the blending mode to darken, it doesn’t add the white color to the texture, but only darkens the shadow area, it works better for me

Great work Ashsid! Even if it’s not practical, that is still an impressive result!

~~Stu