Gaming Scene (Critique Needed)

Make everything cast shadows. Right now it looks as the dice are hovering.
Turn down the specularity (or completely remove it), and add a bump map to the table texture.

To both images? Or just one?

Your scene has no shadows, this makes the objects look like they are floating in the air. Also, the corners of a playing card aren’t usually straight, but rather a bit rounded.

As for the positioning of the objects, you should place “main” object about one third from either edge of the image. In your case the dice or the cards are in those places, but the glass in the middle draws attention, making the composition a bit awkward.

I like the material for the glass a lot.
OH! And set the plane to recieve transparent shadows. That will make it look better.

Hmm. seems like you already know this scene lacks shadows, as almost everone has pointed that out…Lol.

Could someone give me some help with shadows please?

.blend

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/7052

@Morio, I think you are exactly right, but I have not gotten around to moving the objects quite yet.

For some reason I can’t upload it. But I can tell you what I did to get shadows.

But only if you say you like Coldplay’s songs.

Haha, naw I’ll tell you anyway XD

Ok so basically try replacing your spot light, and make sure shadows are turned to RAY SHADOWS. Also have your “ground plane” replaced as well. Make sure that this can RECEIVE TRANSPARENT shadows.

have fun!

Anyway, I will tell you about soft shadows. If you see the spot light settings, you’ll see a one called “soft shadows” or somthing like that. Set the soft size like about 10 or so, and turn up the amount of samples. Then you can have nice high quality soft, diffused shadows! :smiley:

Yeah, was working on that. I will post new images as soon as I am done playing with it… :slight_smile:

Okay, so after a week I finally post on this project again.

I finally got the shadows to work how I wanted them, many thanks to Goldenfrog.

Here are two new images.

This one is 1920-1080 pixels, the regular large monitor width.

I have an HD render (9600-5400 pixels), but am having trouble uploading it to PasteAll.org. Will try later.

Edit: got it to work… PasteAll’s limit is 7MB. This image is 6.97MB…:smiley:
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/14126

Do I need to start a focused critique thread for this image?

Edit: I guess I will. Thanks for helping everyone!

Please let this thread rest, and use the focused critque one.