GarageFarm.NET's - How to use online renderfarms guide

How to use online render farms

… and save time, money, eliminate stress and maximize your earning potential with cloud rendering

Hi guys!

We have recently finished our work on the article about online render farms.

There are a lot of tutorials out there but there was nothing that covered this subject from A to Z. Since running an online/cloud render farm and working with hundreds of customers is what we do on a daily basis, we thought that we could help[ fill that gap.

This two-part article is based on years of experience with managing a render farm and providing cloud rendering as a service - helping the customers to get their frames rendered correctly and quickly, resolving technical issues, and answering tons of questions which often share common themes.

We decided that it would be good to address them all here.

Part I - How to use online render farms - Part I

In this part, we describe various kinds of render farm models, overview a typical render farm pipeline, and talk about the basics of cost estimation and general preparation steps which should be considered before starting to use an online render farm.

Contents:

1. Introduction
  2. Cost estimation
  3. Online render farm models
  4. An overview of a Cloud Rendering Service’s pipeline
  5. Planning ahead – preparation

Part II - How to use online render farms - Part II

In this part, we address more specific subtopics of rendering with an online farm, like working with farm’s support team and advanced testing techniques for calculating cost estimates and filtering out possible issues in rendering.

Contents:

1. Why small changes to a scene make a 100% different scene
  2. Running Tests
  3. Test with a step
  4. Flicker/noise test
  5. Testing still images
  6. Low resolution animation test
  7. Time estimation and priorities

We added many useful pro-tips and illustrations to both parts of the guide as well.

I hope you will find this knowledge useful and, thanks to this article, save the resources you need for the most important part - creating awesome CG!

Please remember that we are online 24/7 on our Live Chat, so if you have any questions we will be happy to answer them there. :slight_smile: