General Texturing and Materials questions

Hey all… Really love using blender and can create basic materials and stuff… but i feel that using textures is something that is beyond my ability to make look good…

Now… I understand uv mapping pretty well from a 3ds max point of view so know about various map types etc… I’m studying it as part of a video game art perspective…

my questions are as follows…

If i apply a material to an object is there a way to overlay a texture to add details? i.e. building a car and using materials for the main paintwork then use a texture over the top…

Is there a way to stich uv’s like max? i.e. in the uv window?

is there a way to save uv’s to a specific file, like max, so i can close blender and not fear that i’ll need to start the uv process from scratch like i seem to now?

if i import an obj from max is there a way to import the maps and uv layouts? (more just to compare stuff and see how they render in blender! :-))

lastly… are there any good tutorials or books that go in depth into the texturing process in 2.65 or as late a version or at least a version where if i apply it to the version i’m using it will still make sense…

I feel this is something thats really halting my progress and its really bugging me… any help would be amazing

Thanks in advance!

yes, you can apply several texture channels to effect a variety of aspects including diffuse color, rendered normal, strength of specularity, reflectivity, etc.
yes. UVs can be stitched. I think the weld command is alt M, and i reccomend using the ‘live unwrap’ function, which will optimize surrounding UVs as you make adjustments to pinned ones.
I think there is still an export UV function probably in the export menu, but that only exports a bitmap, not the actual UV data.
I believe 3DSmax import supports UVs, though I could be wrong.
I am sure some are out there. If you want to make textures for a cycles render, what you need to learn about is material and texture node arrays. If you want to use the " blender internal " renderer, any recent or even dated tutorials will do, because while there have been changes throughout various versions, the process is basically the same. It’s always a good idea to read through all the release notes, in order to keep up with version changes, and what is available as far as new functionality.

your uv maps will be preserved when you save the blender file, file menu- save as (shift- ctrl-s). or just save if you already have a save file (ctrl-s). no need to unwrap each time you open blender.
and if you click the little triangle next to this websites header title, you will find the links to all the cg cookie network, head over to blendercookie and check out the texturing tutorials, they are mostly for 2.6x series. and then theres always youtube :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies…

I’ll have a good hunt through blender cookie… most of the youtube vids i’ve seen don’t necessarily cover how to make a map (i.e. use for games) properly and now I know that cycles does things a little different it may help…

one last question…

If i use materials is there a way I can create a map from them? so I can export them to a game engine like udk? just I would love to use blender to help me into the games industry and try to boost peoples awareness of what it can do…

if you UV unwrap a mesh, you can bake the textures, normals, occlusion, etc. to an image file and use the result as a UV texture in a game. This is very helpful when trying to make a low poly object look more high poly. normals baking in particular.

I was more meaning if I used materials to colour something… say a car… could I then export it to a uvmap for additional work i.e. say I was doing a race car or f1 or something, could I use a material to colour it blue then export the uvmap to put advertising stickers on it?

sure, if you use the generated materials, you can simply bake the textures to your uv map and save the result as an image. or you can just apply your advert images as uv maps directly over the textured objects as long as they have an alpha channel so they dont occlude the base materials

a bit like layers in photoshop? sweet! I’ll get hunting out how to do that! cheers bud!