general

(3zride) #1

how long did it take you other people to learn blender and what did you find helpful
are there any tips that you could share to help me become semi talented at 3d design
just send any tip tricks and comments to
[email protected]
thanks a lot i just want ot be good at it so bad and i havent gotten any where so far with blender

(S68) #2

To learn to do something at all, a couple of quartes of an hour

To learn to do what I had in my mind with good approximation, a couple of week.

To learn to do exactly what I knew I could do a couple of months

To learn to do exactly what I want to do… I’m still in the learning process :slight_smile:

Happy blending

Stefano

(harkyman) #3

I “learned” Blender to a minimum level, i.e. I could move around fairly well without reference to the manual, in about a month.

It took me about three months to work up anything that I would call decent.

It took about six months to really get anything that I was proud of.

It’s worth it!

(3zride) #4

can anybody tell me where to get this so called manual? and is it an in depth guide to the program for beginners or is it something that helps you add to you previously aquired skill. of which i have none
but its only been two days of trying to figure it out from what ive heard it should be longer

(3zride) #5

i just checked out the so called manual and it is okay but it really doesnt show you how to do the cool things that i see all you advanced blenderians doing is there anything better, longer and or easier to follow
if anybody could explain step by step how they created a certain picture image or animation iwould greatly apreciate that
once again you can send anything blender related that you see fit to
[email protected]
please respond, iknow there are some helpful people out there willing to try to keep a program with much potential from disapearing because of nans finantial trouble
so help create another blender expert

(S68) #6

Hi!

All I have is the Blender 2.0 guide, everything else came out from posting direct and well worded (as far as I can) questions on a specific point. These get answered. Vague questions (Like “How can I make a spaceship” which was asked some tomes ago …) seldom are.
After having familiarized with interface and commands start doing the tutorials you like most, from the easier to the more advanced.

What the blenderheads do out here is in large part coming from their own minds, so this cannot be taught. For the technical part, just ask.

Stefano

(blenderanim) #7

For a beginner’s resource, I think the best one is “The Blender Book”. It came out with v1.8, but is still valuable. It doesn’t cover the realtime (game) portion or the Armatures, but neither of those are covered in the 2.0 manual either. “The Blender Book” gives good tutorials on how to do certain things and progresses well from what is color to video editing and python. It has .blend files on the CD and a few color pictures. The 2.0 Guide is more like a traditional reference. It describes all of the buttons and menus and includes a few tutorials.

What I think is lacking is an “Advanced User’s Guide” to describe the combined effects of different settings. Not just “this button adds mist”, but techniques for creating realistic fog or smoke. Right now that information is found in the discussions, suggestions, and questions on boards like this.

Stefano makes a great point – ask clearly worded and specific questions. You will get answers quickly. BTW, I agree with his learning timeline also.

“Wanting to be good at 3d design” is kind of a broad topic. Are you interested in stills or animations? Entire scenes or individual objects? Artistic or realistic? Space, fantasy, real world, people, objects, architecture, or nature?

Find something you are interested in and work on that. Maybe model your room and post works in progress when you have questions.

(Silent Bob) #8

I actually picked up the Blender Manual way back. It was extremely useful since the GUI was quite overwhelming at the time. There is a brief tutorial and then a roadmap for the user interface. I now find it on my computer desk quite often as a reference that I use all the time.

To be honest, the most learning I have done is find tutes that do something like what I want to do and I go from there. This is, IMHO, the best way to learn, as a lot of these have .blend files available for you to take a look at along with the instructions.

The best way to learn is to just start tinkering. Don’t ignore the square the first time you start up Blender ;). Some of my best stuff starts from there…

Bob

(harkyman) #9

Once you have the interface basics down (tutorials, reading the Blender Guide cover-to-cover) I find that it helps to have a project. It needs to be a project that you are excited about. It needs to have some things in it that you know you can do and some things in it that you can’t do but that you know can be done.

Then you start on it. And you slog through it. By the time you’re finished, you’ll be MUCH better than when you started.

(3zride) #10

can somebody tell me where i can get the manual 2.0 all i have is 1.5

(Rob) #11

The official Blender 2.0 guide
The ISBN is 0-7615-3513-6

There is also Tutor guide #01 and Tutor guide #02 These are NaN books, I can’t see an ISBN

I found the on line tutorials best for getting going. Search around for the beginners ones and print them out.

Rob

(3zride) #12

the blender book is so expensive to buy is there a way i could get at least part of its contents for free
its that or 40 dollars

(haunt_house) #13

Hi

I´ve got the 1.5/1.8 manual and it is pretty good. You can find many little infos (keyboardshortcuts or hidden functions) which make Blender very comfortable.
Only the layout makes it hard to read, although it is nice to look at it.

HH

(Zweistein) #14

I started with a A4 paper and www.blender.nl

I wrote the keyboard shortcuts and after 1 day, i learnt that, what i learnt with other 3d programs after weeks.

Blender is very easy to learn. Damm that the tutorials from www.blender.nl are away… (I have a few of them, visit http://home.arcor.de/matthiasth)

CU