Geo-Scatter - 5.4 Scatter Groups

I own Scatter 4 pro, will I get Scatter 5 upgrade?

I own Scatter 4 pro, will I get Scatter 5 upgrade?

Hey
Yeah :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just got my fingers crossed you will be releasing the floating windows add on at the same time :wink:

1 Like

It’s on my todo :slight_smile:
S5 release has priority as i explained

1 Like

Don’t forget about this magic gem too! :slight_smile:
https://twitter.com/_BD3D/status/1418356023946010629?s=20

6 Likes

That’s was some R&D I did for this upcoming FW update :wink:

Are the biomes from the S4 version compatible with S5?

Nope, it’s another format, i already converted most of them, some TerraScape packages are still on Hold :slight_smile:

with S5

Once released i suppose?
Scatter5 is still in the work hehe

1 Like

Have you tested the performance of scattering between particle system setups and geometry nodes setup? I am getting about %20+ faster render times and better viewport speed with the old school hair based instancing. Obviously the particle based setup has alot more limitations.

The only slowdowns I saw is when tweaking sliders and changing values of nodes (therefore Scatter5 properties).

When the calculation has been done & the points are defined it should not change anything. Instancing is instancing, I see no reasons that instancing now should be slower than before. If you think it’s the case please report it to the main geometry node developers.

note that the new field system should be much faster than 2.93 as globals are not constantly written in memory afaik.

1 Like

That was my initial thinking too but this issue can be felt when high rest objects (like dense trees) are instanced.

Please send a report to the developers with an example scene, they could potentially fix this during bcon3 :slight_smile:

Here is a video demonstrating the issue. See the FPS difference between GN and Particle system is quite noticable. Both methods use the vertex locations of the plane, so they should have the same number of instances.

https://dev-files.blender.org/file/data/36ovop5vytoqs6mumqhx/PHID-FILE-iev277pklwupwnb4ricj/XZXe68juul.mp4

I already filed a bug, I thought I would follow up here so others are aware too.

1 Like

The viewport navigation is pretty bad too, I did not record a video of it since it is harder to demonstrate it in a video.

Here is the bug report.

https://developer.blender.org/T92862

Does Scatter4 work in Blender 3.0 as is?

Somehow your camera is causing the geometry node tree to recalculate each frame. Are you using it in the GN tree (even if not connected to anything) or is any other object is tied to the camera?

I had a similar problem when I use material assign node, if I changed the material nodes in any way it would cause the geometry to recalculate as well.

Once blender 3.0 is out i could upload a patch if legacy users wants to :slight_smile:

Somehow your camera is causing the geometry node tree to recalculate each frame.

@valera Ok I’ll fix this asap thanks for the report

I guess my question is more about using it now.

@BD3D A question about the discount: the price I see now is already discounted or it will be discounted during the purchasing?

1 Like

Hey folks, Scatter5 is available for pre-orders at a discount 99$ → 79$
A free version for hobbyists, with less features, is coming too :slight_smile:

9 Likes