Geo-Scatter - 5.4 Scatter Groups

Hey. I must come back to an old request.

Would it be possible to generate an convert button.
When a scatter layer is selected the standard convert particle is called and all resulting objects are put in an collection or under an empty with same name as the scatter layer.

What happens now.
I convert a scatter layer particle system and all 100 000 objects are put in the hierarchy. I must create an empty or collection and select all 100 000 objects and must move them under the empty or an collection.

It would be really great and saves tons of time.
The empty or collection could be easily selected and exported.

I know on first read it does not sound as sexy but it allows to fast export the scatters to game engine like unreal and unity.

Hi Sasa.

I’m sorry but i have Top Priotity features to accomplish first
clean borders is more important than giving particular features for a minority of users who need to export the Scattering to their game engines

i look into this once the Top priority to-do list is clear :slight_smile:

1 Like

One thing that came to my mind as lazy person Im.
I was doing test in different computers with out preset or materials database, so for this “quick settings” like displace the ground, will be super nice to have few ground materials setups.
Just an idea.

But that is easily done right? In the viewport select one particle and shift+L to select all with the same object data, or in the outliner use shift to select from the first B01… to the last in one go. Then M to add to a new collection and done.

It’s like… 4-5 clicks? With a button in the addon it would be 1 click or two, that would be nice, but it’s an action rarely done, one would do it one or two times for every scene, so I don’t think it’s worth cluttering the UI.

1 Like

the displacement tab will have a new image to displacement modifier operator. :slight_smile:
it’s on my to do list

9 Likes

From distance effect is nice, but on zoom ins the grass looks plastic. But I guess your collab with Graswald will fix that. :slight_smile:

Umm, I took a look into the materials and a combination of principled and translucency is used, my guess is that this is better for large background scenes, for closeups it would look better with a more complex shading with subsurface scattering, but that comes with a cost in render times…

My opinion is that it’s better to have a more performance oriented defaults and if you have a scene where some grass is close to the camera, tweak only the closest grass shader.

1 Like

Maybe it’s because they are lit up evenly, normally the thick grass is not so transcluent. Only young leaves are, the older ones are not transcluent at all.

Hi.
The actual scene has around 70+ layers and every layer has 5000 to 50.000 objects.
The under laying geometry and the scatter layers change often so i have to regulary redo the single layers.
The problem is that it takes a lot of time to select maually with multiselection in outliner (very long list) and do the transfer to an collection (M) or empty (STRG+P Object Keep transform)

i think it’s the color, too saturated, but this was fixed long ago

Hi.
The actual scene has around 70+ layers and every layer has 5000 to 50.000 objects.
The under laying geometry and the scatter layers change often so i have to regulary redo the single layers.
The problem is that it takes a lot of time to select maually with multiselection in outliner (very long list) and do the transfer to an collection (M) or empty (STRG+P Object Keep transform)

you have 70+ particles systems in your scene ???

My opinion is that it’s better to have a more performance oriented defaults and if you have a scene where some grass is close to the camera, tweak only the closest grass shader.

yes this addon is oriented on performance

Can’t really update, haven’t got any code, you’ve just gave me a download link :relaxed:

Yes. It s a 4km long road circuit with 23 gras islands.
For every island and road there are semi auto generated booleans., too.
Trees. Grass. Pebbles for the road…
In Unity or Unreal you replace the instances with lod ones and then you enable gpu instancing. + additional occlusion and frustrum culling.
I only use the more than 1 Mio+ transforms from scatter for getting the nice variations a nice cycles ground truth preview and a close to non destructive workflow.
Things you do not have in Unreal and Unity alone. All scatter and nature addons break all the time in Unity or get deprecated. So i prefer to habe my work and distributions solid saved in Blender.

The power of Scatter Blender to Unity is the non destructive workflow.

It works like this but looks much better. Quality close to cycles when finished

3 Likes

really really cool !
sadly it’s just not possible to do this in blender through an addon
also, blender is not as flexible as unity or unreal

By the way everyone, i’m already working on “Season 01” of Scatter content.
expect an update with new features, and tons of new biomes

4 Likes

The base are the transformation nodes from the converted scatter particle system.
Under this nodes you paste 3 LOD s from your Trees, Rocks or Gras.
Then a normal PBR Materials like the Principled is perfect.

All was the gpu instancer addon does .
It injects compute shaders to the normal pbr shaders and smooth LOD crossfading.
It does it for in one click for

-DirectX 11 or DirectX 12 and Shader Model 5.0 GPU (Windows, Windows Store)

• Metal (macOS, iOS)
  • OpenGL Core 4.3 (Windows, Linux)
  • Vulkan (Android, Windows, Linux)
  • OpenGL ES 3.1 (Android 8.0 Oreo or later)
  • Modern Consoles (PS4, Xbox One)

To deliver it to all these platforms is one if the strong sides from Unity and this GPU instancer addon.

So it should be easy possible when Blender is using OpenGL 4.3 or future Vulkan (already in work).
The Pricipled Shader only needs the same compute shader injection. And the camera position.

I think this is ne pas de problem for MR Foucault to do for EEVEE.

Other way is to extend the Blender GPU API
https://docs.blender.org/api/current/gpu.html
with gpu instancing.
Then you could do it from an addon too.

fyi. Thats most of the instancing magic with shadows and lods.

Thanks a lot for your advices !

you may start a topic on the Devtalk about this ! could be really cool for the devs to enjoy.
as an addon dev there’s just nothing i can do :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You did a lot.
Without your work we would not talk about it.)

1 Like

But this topic in particular !
It wasn’t made especially for the devs and scattering

1 Like

Already working on Season 01 of content. featuring new tools, some re-work, a better UI, new free biomes, and let’s hope, some collabs.

ezgif-1-de0652e5b339

Camera clipping tutorial tomorrow

16 Likes

This is great! looking forward for this!
What about to have some preset materials for the terrain for quick results?