geodisic dome script?

Before my hard drive crashed I used to have a python script where you could create geodisic domes. Now I have a use for it and I don’t know where I got it last time. Is anyone familiar with this script and maybe knows where I can get it.
Paradox

Paradox,

You can find it here:- http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andy.houston/

Bye

Sonix.

Wow thanks, quick response too. This one looks different or improved but looks like it will do what I need. Thanks sonixsculpt
Paradox

hey i need that too

that is cool

You’re both welcome.

:smiley:

Sonix

Well tryed out the script and it is perfect for what I needed. In fact it is a very cool script. Seems like the interface is similar to the one I had before but I don’t remember who wrote it. It does seem to be an improved version with lots of cool options but I may not have noticed them before. I appreciate the link and if you wrote the script well done, if not then well done to the author. Very cool script.
Paradox

Paradox,

I did a search for it on the web, but full credit goes to Andy Houston.

Sonix

Hi.
A new version of the geodesic dome script is in the planning stage and will be written in the next couple of months.
However, as I’m a full time househusband looking after two small children, this schedule may slip. Will slip. :-?
New features will include Class I and Class II domes, three styles of faces(triangle,hexagon and tri/hex star), and more fancy finishes for your modelling and architechtural needs.
I hope I haven’t bitten off more than I can chew.

Andy

:o :o :o :o

The man himself. Thankyou for the script, excellent work and highly useful. I’ve been playing with the script a lot and have created objects I have never even seen before. :o

I only stumbled upon it while checking this post and I’m glad I have.

If you need a baby sitter so you can work on the next version, give me a shout [!]

Nice to hear from you, thankyou again.

Sonix.

Since we’re here, does anyone have any requests or ideas for inclusion in the new script? As I’m still planning and sketching out, now would be a good time for input.
One idea I had was a “Bone” strut-type, so that anything you generated would look like it was built out of bones (after subdivision, of course).

Andy

Andy,

How about an optional vertex limit?

If you run your script on the same object twice but in different configs, you can get some really mad and highly complex shapes.
The results are superb but Heaven forbid you to the enter EDIT mode on that object, because you can’t get back out of EDIT mode. Too many verticies. IE >65000. :frowning:

I suggest Optional if possible, because if you don’t need to enter EDIT mode you can still Edit the obect as a whole thing and that way you can keep these highly complex models.
Just a thought.

The Bones idea is wicked, looking forward to that.

Sonix.

ok i have a few ideas for you.

for faces and struts (and verts/corners)

if i want a polygon that has a sphere in every corner and a circular rod connecting them.

or if i want one with a skull in every corner and bones conecting them

then why not add a feature where you model what you want for each part.

eg model your own strut and model your own object for the corner.

then in the script select the meshs you want and the script puts this together with the face type you have selected from the list.

(because i would like a lot of freedom with the struts and the joints between the struts)

also the option of cutting the dome in more than one plane (eg if i want to join two of them)(similar to the current choping around the bottom except on user defined planes (i supose intersect later might work)

oh well it will be great having a new version

p.s. perhaps the user models a strut with a bone in the centre and then the scrit deforms it (lengthens it to the right length)

and each object that would be placed in the corners would get its orientation from the normals its connected to.

see ya
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

First, thanks for the replies. It would have been very embarrassing to ask for suggestions and then been greeted with silence.

Second, a confession. I’m not a real programmer or a highly skilled Blender user. I’m still learning Python, I’m not good at maths and I have to look after my two sprogs. Things go slowly and this is a big rewrite. I’ll try.

Third, the specifics.

sonix

By vertex limit, do you mean a button that would pull up an error message if the model gets too big? Or do you mean break the model into several different objects?
(And could you send me a jpeg or two of what you have created? How users actually use this script has always surprised me.)

alltaken

Your idea about modelling your own struts, verts etc was something I had in mind for waayyy in the future of the script, when I was more experienced at programming. It allows more user control, which I am all for. If you really need it, I could try to do a primitive prototype for this release but I can’t promise anything.

The arbitrary cutting of the plane is another far future goal, part of my dream that one day there will be a button on the script that just says “Eden” which will produce an Eden Project type dome in one operation. This requires fancy cutting. However I am doing 3/8 and 5/8 domes this time.

Andy

Andy (serendipity), Thanks for the script. Now that I know you did it I wanted to say it is a great script. I had it before but lost it and thus this thread, seems like it is improved. Looking forward to any updates but no rush it takes as long as it takes. The bones idea is a very good one too.I used the old script to create a geodisic dome with an lsytem tree inside. My son was making a space station and wanted geo type domes as connecting points which was why I was looking for the script I gave him the script and wala results. I like the way you can create a dome and then change the parameters and see the change in the 3D window. You say you are not a real programmer well I disagree as this script is well done and useful and I am looking forward to any new versions or new scripts that you do.
Paradox

Andy,

The option to break the object up sounds great, and yes if the vertex limit is going to be too large, ( Ripsting’s Fiber1.3 script gives an approximate face calculation before you create the fibers.) An options message could let you decide how many parts to break it up into, or just to proceed regardless. Possible part combinations:- Inner layer, outer layer, struts and faces. This would 1/4 the vetex count for the whole object.

I’m in the process of creating a montage of the Geodesic objects I’ve created and will post to you and into the Finished projects forum ASAP.

I wish I knew more about Python to be able try and help more. I think I’m going to get my head round it all soon though, but it’s third to learning Max and Lightwave at the moment.

Sonix.

perhaps an idea that i might find useful (in the mean time before you add custom struts)

would be an option to place an empty at every intersection point as i could then manualy add all the struts to the location of all the emptys and then make them track other emptys (to make a strut)

yeah the eden button would be cool (THAT IS EXACTLY THE THING I WAS THINKING OF)

and also i think to add an object to every intersection would not be that difficult. (with no rotation or anything just the location)

that would mean i could make custom struts and joints very quickely
(rather than manualy adding the struts to emptys as i said earlier—but i would still need to use the track option)

that would be more achiveable i think

and yeah no hurry (get a move on now :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: )

see ya and have fun