Geometry Nodes Development Discussion

Hello. I don’t know if this is appropriate place but I have a question. I discovered Animation Nodes addon, and almost all the videos about it are 3-4 years old. Makes me think if they’re obsolete now. I don’t have much experience with Geometry Nodes, but can it be basically the same thing?

So if anybody has experience with Animation Nodes, is there anything in there that can’t be done with Geometry Nodes? Is it worth to put time and learn it for motion graphics?

Geometry Nodes are the official continuation of Animation Nodes, by the same developer who was hired by the Blender Foundation.
I am pretty sure there is still functionality in Animation Nodes that is not available in Geometry Nodes. Simulation (currently under development) being one of them.

Geometry Nodes are without doubt the future proof way in Blender. You are the only one who can judge whether it suits you right now.

2 Likes

Hi. Animation Nodes and Geometry Nodes have different workflow and controls:

Geometry Nodes: Provides complete control at the Geometry and Curve level. (inbuilt in Blender and has been developing)

Animation Nodes: Provides complete controls at the Object level, Grease Pencil, Curve, Scripting, and fewer control at Mesh/Geometry level. (addon and has been developing)

2 Likes

Hi! I found a bug and very strange workaround when i tried to animate an attribute of instanced objects with GN modifier in Animation Nodes. When i plug Attribute Output node with float input, it doesn’t work. But when i add second modifier after GN to original object (for example Wave) and animate it in AN, it starts to animate GN modifier too. It sound complex, but i hope video example will help.

Thanks for the feedback. I think AN is not evaluating the instanced objects, but when you add the Wave Modifier with parameter input as Frame, it is re-evaluating the object or Geometry Modifiers. It seems to be a bug. I have reported it on the AN page.

1 Like

Instead of instance object with the modifier, you instance it normally and then copy the modifier from the original object:

1 Like

Is there a reason Image Info node isn’t coming to Shader Nodes? aren’t they using the same system? Would help so much during texturing.

http://developer.blender.org/rB2ea47e0def6a Man this would be so useful too. Somebody look over at our side too please

1 Like

The link you posted points to a commit from today so it should land in next master daily build.

1 Like

I’m wondering, if anyone tried building Blender from scratch in order to use vertex groups with Join Geometry node as it was in 3.2 version. Problem was reported multiple times and now is stated as known issue.
Does this method really work? https://developer.blender.org/T99197#1417901

More patches for 3.5 last week.

5 Likes

Since all the examples I can find are using the new hair curves and sculpt, I did a little test with the existing curve for stylized hair.

13 Likes

Is there some limit on curve smoothness on hair object? i cant seem to get smooth curves with it. Am i doing something wrong?

Wow. So if i check “as instance” it gets smooth in viewport, but doesn’t render in cycles.

Well, it’s not that. It’s additional subdivision of already evaluated curve output from geometry nodes. It will not reveal any additional detail.

Odd thing is, in cycles it looks ok, in workbench viewport it doesnot.

left one is mesh object, right one is hair object. Both have same geonodes setup

Again, maybe i’m doing something wrong, or i should use “set spline resolution” node. But it doesnot seem to do anything in this case

Yes. Hair display steps are limited for Curves object. User don’t have access to them, contrary to Strand Steps of old particle system.

2 Likes

Its an option in Sculpt mode

… also, you can do the following:

Create a new Bezier curve Object and drag&drop the hair-curve into a new GN setup there… you can then treat it as Bezier curves and set the resolution to whatever you want… 8 initial control point are generally enough to make smooth curves (the grey curve is the original “deform curve on surface” curve).

2 Likes

Issue is that you can set amount of points to 30, curve will continue to be rendered as 7 segments by WorkBench and EEVEE.
Cycles is displaying 29 segments. So, those segments can only be edited in Cycles rendered view.

Curves object properties don’t have Viewport Display and Render panels like Volume object.

3 Likes

Is there a way to have an animation, e.g. an action alyer, play when an instance is first added?

We currently don’t have the ability to apply actions in geometry nodes. However, we can animate transformation of the geometry itself. (Similar to shape keys)

There’s a few ways to animate an instance when it’s added, but most of them will require simulation nodes to work.

2 Likes

More patches for GeoNodes and related areas last week. Small but useful things as well as more optimization.

9 Likes