Geometry nodes exploration: Human rig deformation

Then maybe you can use the hit position to displace the petal vertices? But then I would agree that its too much trouble :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Thatā€™s the same method I used. Did you use mine, figure it out on your own, or get it some place else?

Also, REALLY great work. Looks much more lifelike than mine.You squished outward side to side, whereas I sucked in where they push against each other, not preserving volume.

1 Like

Just write the node group so that itā€™s impossible for them to overlap. :wink:
I.E. When the flower isnā€™t budding, the curve at the top would be zero, and make it curve only half the distance to the next petal.

1 Like

Hahaha :smiley: ā€œjust make it work !ā€ I didnā€™t think of that, of course :smiley:
Given the way Iā€™ve setup the thing itā€™s not that easy, but of course itā€™s possible !
Iā€™ll keep that in mind ! Itā€™s a great solution , but it would be simpler if I think about this one from the start. Iā€™m trying to stick to a production schedule to see how far I can go with that constraint, so Iā€™ll see if the ā€œproductionā€ allow for such refactor of the tree !
Thanks !

1 Like

I like your version better, but hereā€™s what mine looks like now:
Iā€™m working on the elbows/ribs/armpits next, then will make a version that will work with any mesh.

1 Like

I have been using that technique since the start. I didnā€™t get time to completely watch your video so correct me if I am wrong, I think you calculate the angle between joints? My version is slightly different in the sense it works with any mesh.

1 Like

I tried ā€˜justā€™ testing to see for self intersection and modifying that part of the meshā€¦ but it always turned outā€¦ horrific. Thatā€™s why I went to calculating the angles.

1 Like

This is the best and most accurate technique, however unfortunately is the most computation intensive.

Typically in programming once you go into the trouble of calculating an intense part, then you cache it so is reusable for the next time, unless something changes and becomes ā€œdirtyā€, so you calculate it again, etc.

Perhaps this initial idea (computation intensive) turned to a new system, like procedural based-shape-keys (pre calculated).

1 Like

Really? Because my raycast nodes take ā€œ<1msā€. Itā€™s the least intensive part of 5,500 node setup.

Nice, as I see in this video is quite slow.

Geometry nodes exploration: Human rig deformation - #15 by Xeofrios

Perhaps it depends on the polycount of the model.

The dude could be running on a toaster for all we know. :laughing: Or that could be any number of things unrelated to Geo-nodes.
But all mine are optimized to raytrace only exactly what is needed and before any subdivisions are done. Come to think of it, the subdiv-surf is my most time intensive node of all. And even with that, my 5,500 nodes computes in less than 150ms, creating an entire human with geo nodes, rigging it, and adding in joint fix. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Of course if you want performance (eg for games) you should go for shape keys. What I am aiming for really is getting quick believable deformations for animations and still images. Because I know there are many who hate corrective shapekeys with a burning passion. Who knows, maybe I will figure out a way to implement baking for the deformations :wink:

Not really, the timing of the raycast is added to the node you are connecting it to.

I know many of you would like to get some performance numbers.

I am on a laptop with Windows, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, AMD Ryzen 5 4600H, 8 GB RAM. I have some optimisations in mind which might improve the performance. Again, you donā€™t have to enable the modifier while editing. You can set it render only.

2 Likes

Lol, I understand now. <.1ms per ray castā€¦ per point.

1 Like

I finally put it up on Gumroad. For some reason I get so needlessly stressed before releasing anything :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Test using spheres

18 Likes

Metaballs? Supaballs?

Anyway, niceā€¦

1 Like

Actually I should have mentioned, they are quad spheres.

1 Like

Update [0.2]

Edit: seems like Imgur auto flagged my video, how is that even possible?

3 Likes

There are a lot of neural networks that detect and flag nudity automatically, hereā€™s one: https://praneethbedapudi.medium.com/nudenet-an-ensemble-of-neural-nets-for-nudity-detection-and-censoring-c8fcefa6cc92
They didnā€™t use to have auto-flagging on Imgur, but once these tools started becoming more widely available, they implemented one. Discord does something similar now, as does iMessage and I think WhatsApp as well

Perhaps the deformations look too real :smirk:

3 Likes