Geometry Nodes String to Curve

I’m trying out 3.0 alpha. We don’t seem to have a geometry nodes category in support, so I’m asking this here.

When instancing a “string to curves” with “instance on points”, input nodes such as “index” and “position” appear to always be evaluated as 0.

If these are used as input into the rotation or scale fields, the value is evaluated properly:

I don’t know if this is a bug, just an overlooked feature, or if I’m doing something wrong. But if I’m doing it right, and this is the intended behavior, I don’t think “string to curves” is living up to its potential.

Here’s a quick example of what I’m trying to achieve. Here, each of the numbers is its own object. This works, but requires hundreds of objects (most off-screen in this render) when this should be easily accomplished with just one.

Can anyone provide guidance on how to achieve this using a single object for all the text in the column of numbers?

I’m experiencing a similar issue but I’m not even getting this far. My “Value to String” node shows up with circular inputs rather than diamond inputs so connecting any field value ends up displaying a red noodle, which I believe means it is considered an error.

Yep, pretty much the same problem. Until they change Value to String and String to Curves nodes to accept field inputs rather than scalars, they will have limited use.

If you want only a single string per object, then using outputs from the Object Info node works.