Geometry nodes - surely I should be able to do this

Most presentations I have seen so far on geometry nodes are fairly complex - showing some of the cool things you can do with the new capability. I’ve even heard presenters say things like “Don’t ask me how it works but you just have to do this …” which is great but not always helpful if you are trying to gain a well-grounded understanding.

What I am trying to do is simple. I’d expect it to be one of the easiest things to do. I’d like to take an icosphere (say) and I’d like to instance a cone at each vertex such that they are all pointing outward along the vertex normals - a sort of sphere with conical bristles.

I’d be really grateful if someone could show me how to do this with geometry nodes

Thanks for this. I should have seen it myself. I had something similar but with the x-box checked which (of course) aligns the x-axis if the instantiated object with the x direction of the normal - which is not always in an obvious direction.
I understand it better now but still find it hard to visualize this interplay of co-ordinate systems (despite having programmed stuff like this in the past).
Very helpful though. Thanks.

1 Like