Geometry Nodes

Hot damn. I’m not sure how this is happening after the point distribution though ? Shouldn’t it work as an input to the distribution function ?

nevermiiiiiiiind I got it. Points are initially scattered everywhere. Then, they’re scaled down to zero wherever the texture is black. Sometimes I wonder where my brain wanders off. Can’t wait for procedural textures to come in !

I really like the fact that we are moving the uv map itself and it can be animatable.

1 Like

I was testing to see that if I could access the vertices (or locations) created by the Point Distribute node, sadly that seems not possible and applying the geometry node modifier just creates an empty mesh.

I am wondering if such conversion if going to be possible, at least being able to query the raw points locations and their attributes would be nice without hacks.

It looks like it would be more efficient if the texture channel would be used as the density attribute of the point distribute node.

1 Like

I’m not saying it’s ideal, but you can use the “Make Instances Real” operator for this now.

That does not seem to work in 2.92 nightly. Please see the attached file

instancetest.blend (1.1 MB)

Really? Works fine for me. Maybe wait for the next build, it was a recent commit.

1 Like

Thanks I will.

Btw do you know if there are plans for collection support for the Join Geometry node? Basically it will take all the objects in a collection and merge them. I love the Join node but it gets tedious if one needs to merge more than couple objects.

edit: As HooglyBoogly, the most recents version can convert the instances to real geometry.

Two things:

1. Supporting an arbitrary number of inputs for the join node: D10067: Geometry Nodes: Multi Input Sockets
  2. “Collection Info” node: T84603: Collection Info node for the moss use case
3 Likes

If the Geometry nodes are to be to modifiers as the Shader nodes are to materials, then the system would have to have texture nodes and other nodes that can output color or greyscale information (which can then be plugged into the inputs of the nodes that work with geometry).

The whole point of a nodal system is that you can do things like that rather than be limited largely to linear trees with branching every now and then. I do hope the devs. have this in mind as development continues.

It looks like instantiating curves works very well.

11 Likes

I’ve tried for some hours to random rotate a grass patch on its local z axis on sloped terrain. Help :slight_smile:
Anyone know?

Here is how I got it to work :slight_smile:

The normal attribute that gives you access to the local z-axis is created by the Point Distribute node. Currently it still feels a little like using magic spells, with how hidden some stuff is.

5 Likes

This seems to work.

Also in theory you can create randomized vCol and pass as an attribute to geo nodes. I am not sure if vCol is supported currently.